Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

brake fluid top up?

VXdarkmagic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive Series II
Hey All, just wondering how often should you expect to have to top up your brake fluid? I had slotters fitted a year and a half ago and the quote said they replaced the fluid, would you expect to be needing to top up the brake fluid reservoir in this time? I have done around 40000 k's since then and upon checking the reservoir yesterday, I noticed it needed fluid...I haven't noticed any leaks from under the car and I figured a year and a half isn't too bad as my brakes do get a fair workout most of the time, but a mate of mine suggests that there could be an issue, although my gregory's manual says to check the fluid levels every 400k and top up as required. kinda confused here so advice would be appreciated...

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Hey All, just wondering how often should you expect to have to top up your brake fluid? I had slotters fitted a year and a half ago and the quote said they replaced the fluid, would you expect to be needing to top up the brake fluid reservoir in this time? I have done around 40000 k's since then and upon checking the reservoir yesterday, I noticed it needed fluid...I haven't noticed any leaks from under the car and I figured a year and a half isn't too bad as my brakes do get a fair workout most of the time, but a mate of mine suggests that there could be an issue, although my gregory's manual says to check the fluid levels every 400k and top up as required. kinda confused here so advice would be appreciated...

As the pads wear it cases the pistons in the callipers to come out further, therefore more fluid needs to fill this space, so the level drops. I hope this makes sense to you.

VXdarkmagic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive Series II
As the pads wear it cases the pistons in the callipers to come out further, therefore more fluid needs to fill this space, so the level drops. I hope this makes sense to you.

cheers for the reply, yeah that makes sense and my pads are probably fairly worn at the front so shouldn't really be a problem then? my main point is, is a year and a half too soon to be expecting to have to top up the fluid levels in the reservoir?

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
If you are topping it up, you might as well change it while you are there. Getting close to 2 years which is when it should be changed anyway.