Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brake Fluid... Which DOT?

Vzproject

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz Acclaim sedan 05
you can do it in the car need some one to push the pedal and hold while you crack the front line first to you see fluid than tighten do the same with rear line have a rag and water handy
you might have to bleed the brakes again if you got air in the abs
Thanks mate I used the closed loop method I seem to have peddle and it's stopping OK but if need be I can try your method thanks heaps

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
Thanks mate I used the closed loop method I seem to have peddle and it's stopping OK but if need be I can try your method thanks heaps
Dont forget about the abs pump also. It may also hold air in it, meaning when you hit the skids it wont send only fluid to the caliper/s. Your break peddle might go to the floor depending on amount of air in it to my understanding.

Vzproject

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz Acclaim sedan 05
Dont forget about the abs pump also. It may also hold air in it, meaning when you hit the skids it wont send only fluid to the caliper/s. Your break peddle might go to the floor depending on amount of air in it to my understanding.
True what can I do about that? I bled the brakes again after the cylinder put 3 500ml bottles through it. Will that have had affect on that?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
True what can I do about that? I bled the brakes again after the cylinder put 3 500ml bottles through it. Will that have had affect on that?

You can put 10 bottles through it and still have air in the system, if it's not bled correctly....

With the car running, but parked up, does the brake pedal go up, when it's pumped, or does it stay in the same position? If it stays in the same position, good chance you have all the air out of the system

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
lf you are not confident you can cary out any proceedure call a mobile mechanic. You could kill someone. l purchased a vacuum bleeder, some are hand pump and some are air compressor assisted. In all honesty the foot bleed methed needing two people knowing how to bleed correctly is the old school method l still prefer. But it wont happen the first go unless you are just emptying the fluid reservaugh and flushing the line and calipers with clean fluid. I have reserched this further as now we have abs pumps. Apparently there is a service technique that activates the pump, l do not know how to do this manualy without the possibility of damaging any related parts/sensors etc. What l can say is the safest way l have found to acheive this is to bleed the system as stated, when satisfied you have acheived a solid peddle take the car to a dirt road preffered and at a low speed break hard. You will feel the peddle change also hear the abs system activate. This will warm/circulate/pulse the fluid allowing any air to move and should rise into the fluid reservaugh. You can repeat this and check the level also safely. If you please bleed the lines again when you get home.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I normally gravity bleed and it works great, just takes ages. But I don't know if that would work on a vehicle with ABS? I have normally just had ABS equipped vehicles done by a brake place, only cost 50 - 60 bucks for a flush and peace of mind.

Vzproject

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz Acclaim sedan 05
lf you are not confident you can cary out any proceedure call a mobile mechanic. You could kill someone. l purchased a vacuum bleeder, some are hand pump and some are air compressor assisted. In all honesty the foot bleed methed needing two people knowing how to bleed correctly is the old school method l still prefer. But it wont happen the first go unless you are just emptying the fluid reservaugh and flushing the line and calipers with clean fluid. I have reserched this further as now we have abs pumps. Apparently there is a service technique that activates the pump, l do not know how to do this manualy without the possibility of damaging any related parts/sensors etc. What l can say is the safest way l have found to acheive this is to bleed the system as stated, when satisfied you have acheived a solid peddle take the car to a dirt road preffered and at a low speed break hard. You will feel the peddle change also hear the abs system activate. This will warm/circulate/pulse the fluid allowing any air to move and should rise into the fluid reservaugh. You can repeat this and check the level also safely. If you please bleed the lines again when you get home.
Thanks mate done all of the above and closed loop bled the cylinder as stated above if there was air the peddle would come up when pumped while car is running and it's holding still in the same place I'm pretty certain that it's all good and yea the two person brake bleed was wat I did when that failed I did the cylinder closed loop and than bled all four brakes again using two people thanks mate

Vzproject

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz Acclaim sedan 05
You can put 10 bottles through it and still have air in the system, if it's not bled correctly....

With the car running, but parked up, does the brake pedal go up, when it's pumped, or does it stay in the same position? If it stays in the same position, good chance you have all the air out of the system
Thanks very much for all your advice parked up pumped and no change so pretty confident it all worked...

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Yes dot 4 will be fine