Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brake issue

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Good to hear you got it sorted. Just one question, rubber grease? There is a special grease for brake callipers due to the high heat experienced which will cause normal grease to fail.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Just one question, rubber grease?
There is a special grease for brake callipers due to the high heat experienced which will cause normal grease to fail.

100% agree
Rubber Grease has a low melting point and should only be used to lubricate seals & o'rings when resealing calipers, master cylinders & slave cylinders etc
I used it at work quite regularly when resealing hydraulic rams and pumps

Bendix Ceramasil is used to lubricate the caliper slide pins & metal to metal contact areas on brake components
It is specifically manufactured for this purpose as it will resist heat upwards of 1600 degrees celcius
Bendix Ceramasil.jpg

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Given VC does brake repairs as part of his job; my guess is he meant slide grease and not rubber grease? I remember 6-7 years ago i tried Autobarn for slide grease and they didn't stock it. The bloke told me to use rubber grease. I more or less said F-that and went online and bought some.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Given VC does brake repairs as part of his job; my guess is he meant slide grease and not rubber grease? I remember 6-7 years ago i tried Autobarn for slide grease and they didn't stock it. The bloke told me to use rubber grease. I more or less said F-that and went online and bought some.

Unfortunately, this is one job that had me totally stuffed.....Stupid me farmed it to a place to be done...

First problem they created was, I picked the car up after they replaced the booster and had the brakes lock on quicker.....Then the douche's undid the brake light switch and failed to re connect it....Got me fagged why they did that, but none the less they won't get any recommendations from me

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Good to hear you got it sorted. Just one question, rubber grease? There is a special grease for brake callipers due to the high heat experienced which will cause normal grease to fail.

I actually used rubber grease on the rubber grommets of the slide pins, just to lubricate that part of it. They seemed a little "stiff" and I wanted to discount these as a possible cause....

The grease I used for the pins, as it slides inside the caliper bracket, was actually wheel bearing grease...Always worked a treat for me