Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brake issue

F1Aussie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6 COMMODORE
Hi all, have just put new DBA rotors and pads on my VE series 2 SV6 and have run into a problem. When we put the front drivers side rotor on the rotor assembly spun around okay but after bleeding the brakes initially some grey muck came out but fluid is clear now.
After bleeding the brakes the front right rotor is now locked solid.

My old man pulled the caliper back off, couldn't see any issue but pushed the pistons back in spun the rotor around so it was free again, bled the brake then the rotor was locked solid again.

Any idea what the issue could be?

Secondly, when up on blocks how freely should the wheel assembly spin? Should there be a little bit of resistance from sitting so closely to the brake pads or should the wheels spin freely without the feeling and sound of them touching the brake pads? Hard to explain
Cheers

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
Hi all, have just put new DBA rotors and pads on my VE series 2 SV6 and have run into a problem. When we put the front drivers side rotor on the rotor assembly spun around okay but after bleeding the brakes initially some grey muck came out but fluid is clear now.
After bleeding the brakes the front right rotor is now locked solid.

My old man pulled the caliper back off, couldn't see any issue but pushed the pistons back in spun the rotor around so it was free again, bled the brake then the rotor was locked solid again.

Any idea what the issue could be?

Secondly, when up on blocks how freely should the wheel assembly spin? Should there be a little bit of resistance from sitting so closely to the brake pads or should the wheels spin freely without the feeling and sound of them touching the brake pads? Hard to explain
Cheers
have you got the pads in the right way as ve pads have inners and outers on the back of the pads there is two pins and some brands are marked inner and outer

Last edited:

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
does it change if u key on and run the engine encase the abs has to do something because of the bleeding, i thought ve needed a scan tool to operate the abs when flushing so it works thru correctly ?

Shen Long

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice 5.7L
Try re-greasing the piston sliders & yes there are inner & outer pads - they’re not 100% identical nor interchangeable

F1Aussie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6 COMMODORE
have you got the pads in the right way as ve pads have inners and outers on the back of the pad the there is two pins and some brands are marked inner and outer
Okay, that is interesting, will have to check that, they do seem to be same distance from the rotor.

F1Aussie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6 COMMODORE
does it change if u key on and run the engine encase the abs has to do something because of the bleeding, i thought ve needed a scan tool to operate the abs when flushing so it works thru correctly ?
Same with key on. I did read in other threads that even with abs you just do a normal bleed, don't know how true that is as never bled abs before.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Okay, all pads went on okay.

You painted the calipers didn't you....

Remove the slide pins, clean all the crap off them and re-grease them.....That includes the rubber grommets that cover the pins

Side note....Make sure you remove slide pins and cover up the slide pin holes when ever painting calipers.....Paint is sticky and stops slide pins from doing what their name says they do... :)

F1Aussie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6 COMMODORE
You painted the calipers didn't you....

Remove the slide pins, clean all the crap off them and re-grease them.....That includes the rubber grommets that cover the pins

Side note....Make sure you remove slide pins and cover up the slide pin holes when ever painting calipers.....Paint is sticky and stops slide pins from doing what their name says they do... :)
Okay, thanks, good advice. Yes I did paint them, I did cover the rubber grommets prior to painting.

F1Aussie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6 COMMODORE
Goods news, brakes are fine now. It was a brake pad issue with an outer put on the inner note to everyone else who is going to replace the brake pads themselves, the DBA pads have no mention on the pads which are inner and outer and no mention about it anywhere on the paperwork in the box with them.

Your best bet is to either check for markings about this on your old pads or check which are which when you take the old ones off your car.

Thanks for everyone's help.