Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brake job quote . Is it excessive ?

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
I reckon that I could have changed the rotors and pads in the time it has taken all the contributors of this thread to type their posts!

:)

For sure :)

They basically almost trippled the price for bolts...

EternityDre

Reaction score
Members Ride
MSE #385
You need to let them know that not only have they lost you as a customer, they have lost everyone on the just commodores forums as a customer, due to their stupid greed. I'm glad you asked for advice, as this is a win for everyone.

MattSAU2XR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Auto 2007
I'd have a really good look at whether:

- The bolts are really torque to yield, or just torque to angle, in which case you should be able to clean and reuse them
- Even if they are torque to yield whether you can buy some similarly rated bolts at a bolt shop, usually there's a code on the head, eg. 8.8 or 10.9. Hard to imagine that car companies specifically buy bolts made of unusual alloys....

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
I'd have a really good look at whether:

- The bolts are really torque to yield, or just torque to angle, in which case you should be able to clean and reuse them
- Even if they are torque to yield whether you can buy some similarly rated bolts at a bolt shop, usually there's a code on the head, eg. 8.8 or 10.9. Hard to imagine that car companies specifically buy bolts made of unusual alloys....

I am happy to pay $80 for new bolts. That's not an issue

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Possibly factoring in, the fluid maybe past it's used by date and don't want it to come back because of it....
Yes but he did not ask for a brake fluid flush. He also said bleed. I'm happy to do the job for $150 if he has the parts. But NSW is a bit of a drive to vic.

Be aware backyard mechanic no responsibility.

Last edited:

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
At least it will stop nicely with the Remsa pads in it. Just don't be too light on them, they like to work hard and can get noisy if driven like grandma too much.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
At least it will stop nicely with the Remsa pads in it. Just don't be too light on them, they like to work hard and can get noisy if driven like grandma too much.
I had them before on sv6 and really liked them (minus dust) .
My wife's mazda 3 stock brakes felt like **** ...and after replacing the stock mazda pads with remsa the difference was huge...
Much better pedal feel and great bite, hot and cold...

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I had them before on sv6 and really liked them (minus dust) .
My wife's mazda 3 stock brakes felt like **** ...and after replacing the stock mazda pads with remsa the difference was huge...
Much better pedal feel and great bite, hot and cold...
Yes I like them too, had them on my VE for about 4 years before I changed them. But a lot of people I know who have tried them say they had big issues with squeal. I think the issue is they drive to slow and brake too softly.