Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brake job quote . Is it excessive ?

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Yes I like them too, had them on my VE for about 4 years before I changed them. But a lot of people I know who have tried them say they had big issues with squeal. I think the issue is they drive to slow and brake too softly.

Interesting..
Mine never made any noise...
Squeeling does not have much to do with the compound anyway...

eman1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline
Squeeling does not have much to do with the compound anyway...

When pads are installed correctly, squealing is almost always the compound. Any of the high performance options with pads will make some degree of noise. By high performance I mean pads with high metal content or carbon.

Milo 6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv wagon/2009 fg xr6t(daily
Can anyone actually confirm if vf caliper bolts are tty or is it just heresay/holden profiteering?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Can anyone actually confirm if vf caliper bolts are tty or is it just heresay/holden profiteering?
Anyone have some clear photos of the bolts? I have my doubts as Holden know heaps of people will reuse them but profiteering is so common the days that who knows....

Milo 6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv wagon/2009 fg xr6t(daily
I have only ever known of headbolts to be tty,tty are usually torqued and never touched again because they never come undone removing the need for Loctite?
Ill be reusing mine when I do my front brakes,ive always cleaned off the factory crusty Loctite from any caliper bolts and reused them and never had any come loose,if I did track days I would use Loctite,constant on and off abuse all day long,for sure.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
The workshop manuals from my older vehicles (not Holdens) would specify details about the TTY bolts (which have all been head bolts). As part of the specification, there would be a maximum length clearly defined for TTY bolts, which when exceeded would require the bolt to be replaced, as well as progressive torque settings (and angle in some cases).

Now I havent looked into the Holden VF workshop manual in detail but i think it simply states if the bolt is to be replaced with no mention as to maximum usefull length. I can't believe Holden would make them so flimsy to be single use.

Guess it's all part of the modern day mindset and the dumbing down the popluace where manuals are not needed for the things we buy as service is something that is not done by us owners but farmed out to 'professionals'. Oh well.

But testing bolts is reletively simple. So if anyone who has bought new caliper bolts cares to do a such a test, then simply measure the length of the new bolt using a caliper gauge, then measure the length of the old bolt. Install the old bolt using Holdens recommended torque setting and process, then remove and repeat the measurement and reinstall. If they are TTY, they will get just that little bit longer after each use. And after a number of reuse cycles they will snap if they are TTY. It may take 5 or more cycles before they let go.

It shouldn't take more than 10 minutes to do this and will answer the question once and for all...

But please check if and how the snapped bolt can be removed before taking it to the extream as i wont be held responsible for a stuck brocken bolt (though i suspect it should be loose and come out easily).

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Interestingly the manual also says to replace slide pin bolts and they even come with new genuine pads....but they're definitely not TTY.
Maybe they are just trying sell parts a with mad profit margin...

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Yes but he did not ask for a brake fluid flush. He also said bleed. I'm happy to do the job for $150 if he has the parts. But NSW is a bit of a drive to vic.

Be aware backyard mechanic no responsibility.

But if the brake fluid fails the test and it's not replaced, owners have a hissy fit, because you didn't do the job properly....

And as for bleed.....How else do you flush the system? Might be best you read a workshop manual to see how it's done

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
You need to let them know that not only have they lost you as a customer, they have lost everyone on the just commodores forums as a customer, due to their stupid greed. I'm glad you asked for advice, as this is a win for everyone.

Maybe Ron should mention the name of the place, so us forum users know the shonky place to avoid