Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brake light warning VE 2 new master cylinder

Buz65

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE series 2
As per the title, just had a new master cylinder fitted to my VE 2 as the car had spongy brakes. Car now has the brake warning light on the dash. Any clues as to what I need to do? And still has a spongy brake pedal.
Cheers

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Better take it back to your mechanic.
You could have a close look at each calliper for leaking brake fluid and also check the fluid level in the master cylinder.
A leak somewhere or very low fluid level would cause this, or a faulty master.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
If the master cylinder has been replaced, was the ABS unit properly bled?

Buz65

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE series 2
Better take it back to your mechanic.
You could have a close look at each calliper for leaking brake fluid and also check the fluid level in the master cylinder.
A leak somewhere or very low fluid level would cause this, or a faulty master.
All good, took it back. Faulty sensor/switch from the new fluid reservoir.

Buz65

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE series 2
If the master cylinder has been replaced, was the ABS unit properly bled?
I asked that as well. Once the sensor was replaced and working, the ABS was properly bleed according to the mechanic. Better pedal than before, still not as good as my VF II work car but I can deal with it. The VF II probably has a better system I guess.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Spongy brake pedal is almost always air in the system so replacing the hydraulic fluid in master cylinder and bleeding the brakes lines, abs module and calipers will resolve the spongy feel. Keep the master cylinder reservoir topped up during the bleeding process.

A spongy brake pedal can also be caused by a old flexible rubber brake lines, especially when they are bulging and about to burst so replacing them will fix the soft spongy pedal.

A soft pedal that slowly sinks to the floor as it’s being pressed is usually caused by a leak somewhere in the hydraulic system. Repairing the leak will stop the pedal from slowly hitting the floor.

Good to hear it’s been sorted but out of curiosity what was wrong with the master cylinder that it needed replacing? Leaking?

Buz65

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE series 2
Thanks, I'll check out the rest of the brake system. Car has now done over 300k and slowly starting to replace safety components of the car. Brakes have never really been a stand out since I bought it years ago. But good point I'll check the lines under pressure.