Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brake Master Cylinder - HELP!

BigMoose

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Clubby
Hey Lads,

Had a problem with scored rotors on my 89 VN (just bought it and the pads were grinding against the discs) so I took the rotors to get machined today and found that they were 8mm under the minimum size allowed.. which obviously means that the A-Holes who owned the car before me got them machined too many times!

Anyway I bought 2 brand spankers and new pads, new fluid, bleeding tube and bearing grease, took it home and put everything back together nice and tight and well lubricated. I then bled all 4 brakes (pedal got nice and hard to push) and rotated all the wheels, took it for a test drive and my foot nearly went through the firewall before the brakes would even start to slow me down. Then I noticed a odd burning smell coming from the car (which I assumed was the new pads and rotors meeting for the first time?). Needless to say, I am very pissed off at the moment and I'm thinking it could be the brake master cylinder or the brake booster.

Any thoughts fellas?

And if I am correct, can anyone point me in the direction of a step by step guide of how to replace a master cylinder or booster please??

Any help will be much appreciated.
Cheers :beer chug:

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
make sure your bleeder nipples arnt leaking fluid either from when you bled them. but yea sounds like your master cylinder needs a replace or rebuild. and if you get one from the wreckers the vr ones look the same but the break line flange heads are a diffrent shape. it will all bolt up but when you screw in the lines fluid will leak out. i bought a low kms one from a vr and robbed the guts out and put it in my old one.

Last edited: