Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

brake master cylinder leak

vnbelina

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 3.8
hi guys got my self a yellow stiker the other night. the guy at the pits rekons i have a leak from the rear of the master cylinder. is there a seal back there or mayb the bolts need tighttining. whats inolved in taking the whole untit off and checking is there anything i need to no

any help would be appreciated

Dan355

Go THE SS's
Reaction score
Members Ride
Street Legal 355ci VN SS - Daily: VP SS
Yea theres a seal there with a circlip by memory. I think theres a few seals there actually. You just need to undo your lines etc then the bolts, then shes out. Pretty easy. Just buy one a recon one saves alot of time and hassle.

xcop5l

4th year spanner spinner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN ex cop 5L
unless youve had alot of experince with brakes dont pull the master cylinder apart bits will go every where.
from memory theyre not that exspenive. and it costs about 30 to fit

J_D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 and VS V8 Statesman
Just pulled my old one apart today and they are simple as, the part that usually leaks is just a plunger and one return spring behind it. Just undo the circlip and the plunger will pop up, lift out the plunger and it has two rubber seals on it. As long as the bore isnt damaged you can just replace the two seals on the plunger and put it back in.

I thought it was difficult also, so I bought another master cylinder from the wreckers (15/16ths as I couldnt find a 1inch one to replace mine), now I might get the two seals to put in my 1inch one and put it back in.

xcop5l

4th year spanner spinner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN ex cop 5L
they are difficult to put bac together if you put one of those seals in the wrong. or one of those cups in wrong. or the bore of the master cylinder isnt cleaned and polished so its shiny. you will not have any brakes

AlpineRaven

Reaction score
master cylinder is on way out.. best get the cylinder replaced.
Cheers
AP