Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brake pad and disc life.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I know there was another thread posted recently about how far brake pads had lasted but I'm trying to approach this issue from another angle. Not necessarily just concerning Commodores.
What is a "good" expectation for standard factory pads on an auto trans vehicle weighing approx 1700kg?
Yesterday, I replaced the front tyres on our 2015 Captiva 5, which we purchased new. The pads all round are the factory originals. They have now done 113,000km and would have about 60% of the original pad material remaining. The discs are still smooth, no scoring and no ridges. The brakes don't squeal or shed dust. Braking performance has remained consistent, light pedal and solid retardation.
At this rate, the pads will easily exceed 200k.
I can't imagine how such low wear has been achieved. No nanny driving, but being a 4 cylinder Captiva, it's no powerhouse. Anybody got ideas how standard brakes can be so durable yet effective?

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Steady normal driving and they last a long time.
Previous VY I moved on at 60,000 the pads looked as new.
VE now with 40,000 up they look fine also as are the discs.

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
replaced the front pads on the youngest daughters 2012 Kia Sorento V6.. at 130,000 km a couple of months ago.
I bought a set of pads, F&R but the rears have little wear so i did not touch them. She might get 200,000
out of the rears (will keep checking as I service the Kia). Rotors?? perfect ... :)

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I'd be lucky to get 40k from a set of pads on the ute. Wife's Outlander only got 80k from the rears. The rear rotors also needed a skim.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Just did my second set of rears on the bike. 2nd hand when purchased bike, but have only 40,000 on it.
(I think the braking area at the end of the drag strip is hard on pads though)

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
It really must depend on how and what you drive.

If you arrive at corners fast and brake late, then they wont last anywhere near as long as more sedate driving.
If you drive a Tesla with high regeneration (where you can bring the car to stop by easing off the accelerator) brakes will last forever ;)

I'm often a late braker in my old fassioned ICE machine, especially when alone in the car, so i get around 40,000 - 60,000 kms.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
All I can say is, it is obvious you are gental on the brakes, hence the longetivity of them.

I have a 1973 model Valiant (unsure of kerb weight) that has done 140,000K from new...Brake pads have about 40% material left and the rotors are still in good condition.

This car spend the majority of its life in the country, which would explain why the pads have so much life left in them, compared with the kays on the car.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Brake pad life is wholly dependant on how good your eyesight is.
If you can see what is happening from a long distance you can adjust your necessary braking accordingly.
If you are capable of only seeing a short distance ahead,,, eg: a red light, or a queue of stopped traffic, this will shorten your brake pad life, and possibly other types of life …..cattle, roos, sheep, bicyclists.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Brake pad life is wholly dependant on how good your eyesight is.
If you can see what is happening from a long distance you can adjust your necessary braking accordingly.
If you are capable of only seeing a short distance ahead,,, eg: a red light, or a queue of stopped traffic, this will shorten your brake pad life, and possibly other types of life …..cattle, roos, sheep, bicyclists.

Also those on their phones.