Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brake pad and disc life.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
So cattle, roos, sheep, bicyclist and people on their phones.

Seems late braking might be a good idea (if I start driving a tank I mean)

The phone users are hte late brakers.....if they brake at all.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
The phone users are hte late brakers.....if they brake at all.

When I see people on their mobile phones at the lights, I toot the horn.....They tend to accelerate, then jam on the brakes, because they realise cars are coming across in front of them.

Yeah, a little stupid on my behalf by doing that to them, but on the flip side of the coin, they should be concentrating on the lights....

Sorry about the side track:)

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
The v8 rev woke someone from their phone daze last week in the carpark at chadstone. Muppet was blocking one of the roads :/

As for brake life. Really depends on driving style and where you drive.
I do a lot of freeway stuff so don't get on the stoppers too much. On the flip side, all the cars are manual, and the old one I have had 2 clutches put in for the 1 set of brakes (although pads did get changed somewhere in there). 150-200k kms on the rotors and I think it was about 50k kms the pads got done just cos. All due to engine braking and also when in traffic just crawling along and leaving gaps etc.

Also can come down to compounds and the likes.
Again you might not think your driving is grandpa spec, but the compounds of pads and rotors may be designed for those who accel and brake all the time where as with your more steady style they don't get up to high temps and or wear heavily.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
The v8 rev woke someone from their phone daze last week in the carpark at chadstone. Muppet was blocking one of the roads :/

As for brake life. Really depends on driving style and where you drive.
I do a lot of freeway stuff so don't get on the stoppers too much. On the flip side, all the cars are manual, and the old one I have had 2 clutches put in for the 1 set of brakes (although pads did get changed somewhere in there). 150-200k kms on the rotors and I think it was about 50k kms the pads got done just cos. All due to engine braking and also when in traffic just crawling along and leaving gaps etc.

Also can come down to compounds and the likes.
Again you might not think your driving is grandpa spec, but the compounds of pads and rotors may be designed for those who accel and brake all the time where as with your more steady style they don't get up to high temps and or wear heavily.
My driving style is definitely more sedate than it was 20 years ago. Having a car like a 4 cylinder Captiva hardly gets the pulse racing. The one driving habit I have always had is leaving plenty of space between my car and the one in front. Where you see idiots riding the rear bumpers of the leading car you will also see constant brake lights. I probably use the brakes sparingly without conciously thinking about it because I always have the space to slow down without braking.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
My driving style is definitely more sedate than it was 20 years ago. Having a car like a 4 cylinder Captiva hardly gets the pulse racing. The one driving habit I have always had is leaving plenty of space between my car and the one in front. Where you see idiots riding the rear bumpers of the leading car you will also see constant brake lights. I probably use the brakes sparingly without conciously thinking about it because I always have the space to slow down without braking.

This explains why you have such good brake life. And need I say, alot of common sense too boot.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
More compliments. Can't handle this!

Best I'd start abusing you....So here goes....Stop whinging and whinging about the lack of money you have to out lay on brakes....Start driving like an idiot and you'll be right :p :D

Make you feel better now :D

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Best I'd start abusing you....So here goes....Stop whinging and whinging about the lack of money you have to out lay on brakes....Start driving like an idiot and you'll be right :p :D

Make you feel better now :D

I did have a nasty experience many years ago with Holden brakes. Hot EH, lowered, wide wheels and.... standard drums front and rear. Wouldn't stop a skateboard. Locked up in a sweeping bend one night when driving ummm.... "briskly". Did a 180 and kissed a guide post in the process. Learnt that all go and no slow was not a good combo. Ahh, experience is a wonderful teacher. And, just keep this thread on track, yes, that incident pissed me off.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I did have a nasty experience many years ago with Holden brakes. Hot EH, lowered, wide wheels and.... standard drums front and rear. Wouldn't stop a skateboard. Locked up in a sweeping bend one night when driving ummm.... "briskly". Did a 180 and kissed a guide post in the process. Learnt that all go and no slow was not a good combo. Ahh, experience is a wonderful teacher. And, just keep this thread on track, yes, that incident pissed me off.

Must be something with EH's and learning experiences. My first 3 cars were EH's.....First was drum brakes all round....Definately taught me the values of leaving large gaps to allow good braking distance...

My 2nd and 3rd EH's had HR discs up front....My 2nd one, I was cocky, having better brakes up front....Locked into a corner and ended up skidding down a 9' embankment, on its side, into a golf course. From that experience, a good friend had a good chat to me mentioning about my first EH and using those brakes as a guide to driving and allowing braking distances accordingly. It certainly changed my driving habits

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Its a bit like when you get your truck licence, you learn to leave a good stopping gap, always looking around and so forth.
But then when it involves a crash box, you learn to not want to stop whatsoever, always keep it rolling if you can.
Just small principles to use in daily driving that all make for a smoother style with less wear and tear.