Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brake pad options for heavy duty front brakes on VF Commodore.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
they were fine ... BUT ... FILTHY !
Did not last very long with DBA T2 rotors either...
Interesting, mine lasted years with standard rotors. I think I pulled them out after 5 years with life left in them.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Interesting, mine lasted years with standard rotors. I think I pulled them out after 5 years with life left in them.

Mine were gone in less than 3 yrs

Tryg

Reaction score
Members Ride
a white car
Ever tried the heavily sintered AC Delco pads? I’m sure they’re not as kind to rotors, but surely less dusty. I have a set for the 6-P Brembos, but heard so many talking about Remsa recently, I bought a set for front and rears.

Wondering if people suggest they’re much better or should I stick with the rears in the Redline (just change rotors) and use the AC Delcos?

martinpalac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Commodore
For those with police spec. heavy duty front brakes (245mm rotors and single piston 60mm Mando calipers) on their VF here are some options for brake pads. Genuine ones are very expensive so I did some research and noted some options.

Available in Australia:

1. Genuine GM 92257988 Ferodo HP1000 compound - $260
2. DB1925WB Wagner Brake Pads - $90
3. P59055 Brembo Brake Pads - $70

Limited availability in Australia:

4. Bendix DB1925 - old Australian stock - Bendix Ultimate compound $80. Limited availability on eBay.

Available in the US:

5. Bendix PBD1404 - approx.$120 with postage.
6. Hawk HB638Z.702 - ceramic brake pads - approx. $150 with postage

Possibly applicable but unconfirmed:

7. DBA - DB1925XP XP PERFORMANCE - $180

Hope somebody finds this useful.

Im new to this forum and am interested in this thread as I own a VFSS ex police (series1) which I only picked up a few weeks ago. Im unsure what brakes I have exactly, they look slightly larger than average and are slotted. What annoys me is that it has rust on the inner and outter of of the rotor. Is this because wrong sized pads have been used? Any other info would be super helpful. Cheers

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
The pads only contact the face of the rotor, the shiny area..
They can leave a 1 or 2mm lip on the outside corner of the rotor which can go rusty brown.
Is that all your seeing? Same with the hub of the rotor near the wheel studs.

martinpalac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Commodore
Sorry, yeah I understand the pads would only touch the shiny area (face of the rotor) and yes im refering to the inner and outter edges of the rotor face, but my surface rust sections are more like 3-4mm.
Im wanting to know if perhaps standard VFSS pads were used to suit standard sized rotors, but given I may have slightly larger rotors (being ex police) this resulted in the rusty brown edges?
If my thinking is correct, im keen to find out what size/type pads i should fit (after I get them machined) so it doesnt occur again?

3rspecB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSv Redline, White Manual Sedan
Im new to this forum and am interested in this thread as I own a VFSS ex police (series1) which I only picked up a few weeks ago. Im unsure what brakes I have exactly, they look slightly larger than average and are slotted. What annoys me is that it has rust on the inner and outter of of the rotor. Is this because wrong sized pads have been used? Any other info would be super helpful. Cheers

Holden did not release slotted rotors on any VF1 Commodore models. Looks like aftermarket rotors have been fitted. Post a pic of your front brakes so we can see which calipers have been fitted to your vehicle and can advise accordingly.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
I'm running Forza FP3 pads (from Brakes Direct) on my VF, and they are as good, if not better than the Remsa pads which are still in the VE SV6 my girl drives. Big difference is almost no dust compared to the Remsa pads. They will be next onto the HSV when it requires new pads too.