Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brake Repairs led to clutch problem

slimecity

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ecotec v6 (Mk 2) 1996 Auto
Hi there,

I have an 89 VN commodore, I took it into Midas for a relatively simple pad-change for all 4 brakes. Now, the clutch action is different (ie, the "friction point" is in a better place now) BUT now the clutch is slipping, which the car has never done before. This happens at about 1500 revs in any gear, the clutch slips,a dn the revs shoot up to about 2500.

Wots going on here? The brakes and clutch share the same reservoir? I am confused.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
On a VS they don't share the same reservoir - the clutch M/C has its own reservoir....dunno about a VN.
The old way to test for a slipping clutch was to put the car in top gear (4th not 5th) and with the engine idling let the clutch out all the way - if it stalls then the clutch is not slipping but if it still runs then it is slipping - like I said, this was in the old days although it should still apply.

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
The clutch and brake are different master cylinders so changing pads will not affect your clutch. I would say that someone has adjusted your clutch while they had it on the hoist, but they havent adjusted it correctly. There is probably no freeplay in your clutch now, which will cause it to slip and will eventually ruin your thrust bearing as well as overheating your clutch plate pressure plate and flywheel. I would go back to them and ask if they did adjust it ,if they say yes then tell them to have another go and do it properly this time.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Had another look in the workshop manual and early VS and models before appear to have had a cable operated clutch - not hydraulic. There are 2 adjustments - one for the pedal travel and another for pedal free-play.
I can't imagine why Midas would have played around with or adjusted your clutch as it has nothing to do with changing the brake pads.