Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brake Rotor Replacement

B£å¢kÐðg

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
I'm considering replacing the brake rotor's on my vy with dba slotted :) before I jump in head first I'd like to know how easy or hard (if the case maybe?) it is to replace the rotor's yourself? Or am I better off getting a pro to do it for me?

And does anyone know of somewhere in Brisbane that sells them at a descent price? I'd like to do the front and rear (doing the rear mainly for the looks :))

Any advice is appreciated :)

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
I really can't answer this question as I drive a VS, but theres no real need for slotted rotors on the rear. 70% of your braking is done with the front. As for prices, have a look on Ebay. DBA slotted ain't cheap. I called a few places and was told nearly $400 front pair. I seen them on ebay for around $230 a pair for a VS. There are other brands out there besides DBA also.

B£å¢kÐðg

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
$400 a pair? That wasn't for the 4000 series was it? That’s ridiculously high for the standard dba slotted.

The only reason I'm doing the rear rotors as well is they'll need replacing soon anyway plus for the looks :yeah:

I'm expecting a call back from my local autobarn tomorrow but from memory the guy said they're currently around $99 each cause of they're xmas sale, hopefully he's correct :)

Ralph1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SSZ
Replacing the rotors are not that hard, I have done mine. Well I watched a mate do it pretty straight forward.

hsv_punk

I Just Want One
Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Berlina V6
The front DBA slotted were $99.00 everyday price at supercheap last time I was there. So I wouldn't pay anymore than that if I were you.

Snap

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY2 Commodore
On the earlier VT's the wheel bearing is located in the disk rotor and needs to be refitted to the new disk rotor.

Is this the case with the VY's? Or is it a simple matter of removing the caliper and swapping the rotors?

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Snap said:
On the earlier VT's the wheel bearing is located in the disk rotor and needs to be refitted to the new disk
Nah mate, that ain't right. the earlier commodores, yes, but i think they went to a modular bearing unit in the early VS's. so all you do is remove the caliper and frame and remove the rotor. it can be a little tight as they rust on there, but use a big rubber mallet and alternate the hits around the rotor. i have DBA slotted on the front of mine and they are pretty good. $99 each from supercheap. i see they have gone up 10 bucks though. still cheap for what they are.

B£å¢kÐðg

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
EcotecManiac said:
so all you do is remove the caliper and frame and remove the rotor. it can be a little tight as they rust on there, but use a big rubber mallet and alternate the hits around the rotor.

That's good to hear :)

I'll be checking out my local supercheap tomorrow :)

Snap

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY2 Commodore
EcotecManiac said:
Nah mate, that ain't right. the earlier commodores, yes, but i think they went to a modular bearing unit in the early VS's. so all you do is remove the caliper and frame and remove the rotor. it can be a little tight as they rust on there, but use a big rubber mallet and alternate the hits around the rotor. i have DBA slotted on the front of mine and they are pretty good. $99 each from supercheap. i see they have gone up 10 bucks though. still cheap for what they are.

Thanks mate your a bloody legend. :thumbsup:

Me disks have got cracks in them and I don't think it's under warranty so I'll be doing this after Chrissie :D