Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brake Rotors

kobe_2104

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon
Hi all,

With over 200,00kms on the clock, I'm thinking my brake rotors finally need replacing. I've got a standard V6 Alloytec with 16" wheels, so was wondering whether it's best to get solid, slotted or vented and whether or not you can get slotted/vented for 16" wheels. If so, what are the better brands to get and the best places to get them? Only reason I ask about slotted / vented is because I do a lot of driving on back roads and get fairly heavy on the brakes so would like better than average brakes.

It seems like there's a lot of them on eBay but I never trust many things off eBay as I know working for a National Retail chain, many things can be Chinese ripoffs.

Also, I've never done any work on my car but I'm presuming rotors and pads (have done pads and oil changes before on my old old old Corolla) aren't that hard to do.

Any advice would be awesome.

Thanks,
Matt

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Slotted rotors with good pads will be enough. FYI, all but one range of DBA are made in China too now, which doesn't make them bad quality. Like RDA, they are made in China, but are Australian owned and engineered, manufactured in China to a standard. Not all things made in China are cheap and nasty.

kobe_2104

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon
Slotted rotors with good pads will be enough. FYI, all but one range of DBA are made in China too now, which doesn't make them bad quality. Like RDA, they are made in China, but are Australian owned and engineered, manufactured in China to a standard. Not all things made in China are cheap and nasty.

Thanks mate, sounds like a plan. I found I can get DBA through Bursons so will find out how much and probably get them through them.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Thanks mate, sounds like a plan. I found I can get DBA through Bursons so will find out how much and probably get them through them.

You might be surprised at some of the prices that some people sell DBA rotors/Brake pad combos online for.
It can't hurt to check Ebay, at least before paying the ridiculous mark up prices instore at Bursons

You will need the following part numbers:
Front Rotors: DBA040 x 2
Rear Rotors: DBA041 x 2

Bendix Brake Pads Required:
Front Brake Pads: DB1331 GCT
Rear Brake Pads: DB1332 GCT

If you wish to check for yourself..... here is a link to DBA's website Online catalogue:
Online Catalogue - Disc Brakes Australia

And one to the Bendix Website Online catalogue:
https://www.bendix.com.au/catalogue

There is obviously other manufacturers of the parts that you will need, but I have used the above listed part numbers on several commodores I've owned over the years, as well as customer vehicles and found them to be a good combination that work well together.

Last edited:

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
I found Vpw were the cheapest around Melbourne for dba rotors.

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/152174402904

I bought this set for my VX in January. Smooth, silent, perfect fitment, and new brake caliper hardware.
Be sure to buy some silicon paste (bendix) for guid pins and a little on the pad seats to ensure smooth operation.

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
At around the 180 mark I purchased a set of 4 dba slotted rotors from our Autopro store because we tow a foldout camper. At the same time the rear brakes would heat up and one brake place said I need 4 new calipers and at $2,600 that wasn't going to happen so I dismantled all mine and gave them a good cleaning installed an overhaul kit and greased the guild pins, I think the overheating issue was because the guide pins were sticking. When Pedders installed the rotors and pads I also had 2 front hubs fitted just to be safe. The slotted rotors and Bendix pads provide superior braking power and if I remember correctly the whole package was excellent value for money.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Forgot to mention in my previous post, Change your brake fluid as well while you are at it.