Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

brake shudder

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
vy commodores dont have drum brakes , apart from the handbrake shoe assembly which does not operate from the footbrake. just remember "vc commodore" we can all contribute to this forum and my point still is , warped front rotors show up with pulsating thru the footbrake when footbrake is applied. there would have to be something seriusly wrong with the front end to make the steering wheel shake when applying the footbrake. lets all try to get along.......cheers again.

I'm not insunuating VY's have drum brakes, as I am aware they have a disc brake assembley in the rear (with the exception of the handbrake assembly).....I was using that as an example how the rears effect the brake pedal, rather than the fronts.

My experience has shown front rotors being warped creates the steering wheel wobble under braking.....Also consider the OP has also replaced the rear rotors and brake pads, yet he has only replaced the front brake pads, not the rotors.

Of course there is a chance I am wrong.....I'm just using logic from what the op has written and personal experience.....Only the OP can say whether replacing/or machining the front rotors solved the issue or not.....Time will tell, so others can look back at this thread if they have a similar issue down the track

jlc85

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy v6 series 2
my money is on warped front rotors , my vy did the same thing ..

Sdel179

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6
I have noticed the same thing with my VY..it's not there all the time but when I brake I feel the steering wheel shake at times and I can feel it in the brake pedal as well..and around the 100k mark notice vibrations.. I have swapped my mags over to 17s and that didn't change anything making me think it's more then a wheel balance issue..I Have at times noticed when turning right at slow speeds a clunk sound that sounds like it's coming from the front drivers side wheel area.. I need to bite the bullet and get it looked at $$$ I have been reading about caster rod issues as well.. I need to get someone to look for front wheel movement when I hit the brakes I was told by a mechanic..

jlc85

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy v6 series 2
clunk under ur wheel can be the sway bar link bushes mate , that's what I thought it was in mine but turned out to be the ball joint on the bottom of the link was flogged out causing the clunk , there $ 20 each at supercheap for the whole sway bar link , piece of piss to fit

Last edited: