Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

brake shudder

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
quite obviously i know its in the front i was just giving the full story of what i had done.

i only replaced the rear rotors cos the pad disintegrated and scuffed the rotor

the front rotors feel fine and have bugger all wear on them. (no lip on the edge)

i was thinking it could be the pads cos i didn't have the issue before replacing them.

If you knew it was the front rotors, why ask what the problem is?

Get them machined and see how you go

adele_icm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS 6.0L
Common issue we see often when replacing pads only and not machining/replacing rotors......
Either machine front rotors or replace them with good quality rotors (RDA for example).

B-Man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Calais S2
If you knew it was the front rotors, why ask what the problem is?

Get them machined and see how you go

i knew it was the front area causing the issue quite obviously. i could hazard a guess it could be the rotors but thought it could be one of many things

worn steering ends, the new pads not bead in properly, the rotors, tyres, wheel alignment, as its only intermittent whether the rotors are hot or cold it could be the section of road as i really notice it on the same spot each time yet other times at the same and different speeds on different roads it doesn't do it.

so didn't want to throw a few $100 at rotors if it wasn't actually the issue.

Common issue we see often when replacing pads only and not machining/replacing rotors......
Either machine front rotors or replace them with good quality rotors (RDA for example).

replaced my VS pads a few times without doing rotors and never had an issue. rotors did feel a little wavy on the fronts but still wasn't an issue so didnt realise the vy required machining.

thanks guys will get the rotors checked out and machined/replaced on my next visit

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
i knew it was the front area causing the issue quite obviously. i could hazard a guess it could be the rotors but thought it could be one of many things

worn steering ends, the new pads not bead in properly, the rotors, tyres, wheel alignment, as its only intermittent whether the rotors are hot or cold it could be the section of road as i really notice it on the same spot each time yet other times at the same and different speeds on different roads it doesn't do it.

so didn't want to throw a few $100 at rotors if it wasn't actually the issue.

Wheel alignment, worn tie rods etc etc won't cause the issue you describe at any time.....Tyres will only cause a wobble if they're unbalanced for what ever reason......All these issues have been mentioned on here before.

No offense to anyone, but you apply pressure to an uneven surface, with an object with an even surface, the answer is rather obvious.....Use that theory with the issue you are facing

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
try...BEDDING IN YOUR BRAKES....

jeepyrocks

Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW 535D, VR V6 Ute
Umm no one has mentioned caster rod bushes? On vt onwards these are renowned for leaking their fluid out over time (they are hydraulic), becoming stupidly soft and causing brake pulsation.
OP, how many kms has the car done. Google caster rod bushes - there is a simple way to have someone watch while you brake at low speed to see if there is front end movement (you wont miss it).

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
someone lately mentioned this
not sold but worth checking out

baza

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss 2003 auto sedan
If your steering wheel shudders or shakes , the problem would be tyres maybe with wheels out of balance or steering or suspension fault . if the brake rotors are warped you will feel them pulsing thru the brake pedal when you apply brakes.

goony

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais v V6 wagon
if it's not already clear:

IF you feel pulsing/vibration in the brake pedal and steering wheel in time, together; then machine or replace the front discs.

my wagon had the same issue when i bought it, under various braking conditions.

I bought quality discs from an online site and have been up and down the Aus alps 6* and put 30,000 on them now going hard with no worries.

good luck should be simple fix.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
If your steering wheel shudders or shakes , the problem would be tyres maybe with wheels out of balance or steering or suspension fault . if the brake rotors are warped you will feel them pulsing thru the brake pedal when you apply brakes.

Not entirely correct.....If the steering wheel shudders or wobbles under braking, it's not a wheel balance issue, nor suspension issue......It's the front rotors....If the steering wheel wobbles under normal driving, then it's a balance issue...

If the brake pedal pulses under braking, the rear rotors are too blame