Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brake squealing when cold

MovieDude

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS (A)
My brakes have developed a squeal when applied cold. This started soon after I bought it just over a year ago but repeated visits to the service centre have done little to rectify the problem. The pads were replaced for a different material and the problem went away for a while but has now returned. I have been told that SS brakes need to be stamped on as this is how they are to be used. I brake lightly and in advance which is contrary to what the service centre told me but has not been a problem with the countless cars I have owned and driven. It has also been suggested that I should drive along a freeway and stamp hard to "clean off" the top layer of the pads.
My theory is that the pre-delivery mileage of 80km had 75km of hooning it around town by the pre-delivery w****rs or salesman. Any thoughts?

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
My brakes have developed a squeal when applied cold. This started soon after I bought it just over a year ago but repeated visits to the service centre have done little to rectify the problem. The pads were replaced for a different material and the problem went away for a while but has now returned. I have been told that SS brakes need to be stamped on as this is how they are to be used. I brake lightly and in advance which is contrary to what the service centre told me but has not been a problem with the countless cars I have owned and driven. It has also been suggested that I should drive along a freeway and stamp hard to "clean off" the top layer of the pads.
My theory is that the pre-delivery mileage of 80km had 75km of hooning it around town by the pre-delivery w****rs or salesman. Any thoughts?

80km's is high for "Pre-delivery" k's. Was it an ex-demo vehicle or something?

MovieDude

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS (A)
No it wasn't. It was new. I quizzed the 80kms and the delivery salesman fobbed me off with "it's normal'.

Nikkojoe

Reaction score
Members Ride
AE86, VE M6 UTE, Toyota 86
Pre-delivery usually have around the 10km or less mark, probably closer to 5km. Mine had 8km when I picked it up, and thats after 8months in the yard :)

I took one for a test drive which had 20km at the start and 30km on it at the end, the car was sold within a few days as a new car and not a demo.

There is a possibility that the problem may have arisen from pre-delivery km depending on the way the brakes were used initially.

Hunter SS

Growing Old Disgracefully
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS
i bought my SS second hand with 50,000 on it..... the brakes squeal a little when they are cold..... it's not too loud and doesn't bother me any. Probably normal by the sound of it.

MovieDude

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS (A)
As I understand it brake squealing from cold is because of glazed disc pads and/or scored discs. These are often caused by heavy braking from new. Thank you Village Motors of Redcliffe!

Cursed CX8

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Adventra
dont worry, my brakes do it all the time, hot or cold, luck me, mine even pull to the left when applied!!!!

Hunter SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS
As I understand it brake squealing from cold is because of glazed disc pads and/or scored discs. These are often caused by heavy braking from new. Thank you Village Motors of Redcliffe!

not always...... take a chill pill mate. Brakes can glaze from consistent light application as well. New brakes squeal a bit too until they bed in properly. Be careful what you say about a business too... it is a public forum ;) You could leave yourself and the administrators of this place open to legal bull$hiite if the business mentioned takes offence to what is posted, especially if it is slanderous.

Cursed CX8

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Adventra
slander is spoken, you looking for libel or libeled. lol Libel is the published/text version of slander.

Hunter SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS
slander is spoken, you looking for libel or libeled. lol Libel is the published/text version of slander.

same ****, different toilet :dance: Legal studies was not one of my options at school ;)