Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I'm in ACT and that wheel change would be compliant here. Yea heard about QLD but there are some arguments against them. Like I said in 2014 the Federal goverment started a guideline but as far as I'm aware they're still writing it.
No, reducing tyre width would not ‘self’ comply anywhere in Australia. It may seem stupid but that is what I’ve been told and read.

As to what the federal government was doing from 2014 to now, heck your from ACT so you should know they’ll be blowing hot air for years to come. Sadly, nobody from the feds told the states as WA and QLD have both had “operations” in 2018 to defect modern ESC 4WD’s with > 50mm lifts (where previously <75mm lifts were ok).

Don’t get me wrong, I think such stringent rules only serve the manufacturers who keep the status quo and ensure you buy their more expensive model variants (if you want better brakes, wheels, etc). It stinks.

But until you can link to something concrete that proves what you are saying, I feel the only correct thing is to state we must have engineering certification for brake modes on modern vehicles. As long as people are aware of this and choose to ignore the rules, that’s ok as they are adults. But to state no certification is needed is just wrong.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
No, reducing tyre width would not ‘self’ comply anywhere in Australia. It may seem stupid but that is what I’ve been told and read.

As to what the federal government was doing from 2014 to now, heck your from ACT so you should know they’ll be blowing hot air for years to come. Sadly, nobody from the feds told the states as WA and QLD have both had “operations” in 2018 to defect modern ESC 4WD’s with > 50mm lifts (where previously <75mm lifts were ok).

Don’t get me wrong, I think such stringent rules only serve the manufacturers who keep the status quo and ensure you buy their more expensive model variants (if you want better brakes, wheels, etc). It stinks.

But until you can link to something concrete that proves what you are saying, I feel the only correct thing is to state we must have engineering certification for brake modes on modern vehicles. As long as people are aware of this and choose to ignore the rules, that’s ok as they are adults. But to state no certification is needed is just wrong.
No I said it should be owner cert. Here in the ACT if you buy the car and take it over the government station and it passes you're passed. If they ask you to get an engineers cert then you have to. Once you're passed here there's no yearly inspections so as long as you keep rego on the car you're fine. Also wheel size changes are fine as long as you stay within 25mm rolling diameter, we have relaxed ruels here.

Mattricho

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV my15
Ok so I called a couple of mod plate places and any brake changes need a mod plate then you need to go to main roads and do some paperwork then your all good.

So my cars booked in for Friday to get the mod plate done for $360 and the guys coming to my house.
Well update Friday afternoon.

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
Ok so I called a couple of mod plate places and any brake changes need a mod plate then you need to go to main roads and do some paperwork then your all good.

So my cars booked in for Friday to get the mod plate done for $360 and the guys coming to my house.

Ah ok , I got mine mod plated for the charger and they did my brakes at a discounted price at the same time , but I didn"t know I needed to go to main roads , i'll have to see how you go .

And yes , they were the brakes I was talking about , because you got them OS my memory failed and I assumed Amazon , forgot about US ebay

Mattricho

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV my15
So just had the mod plate done on the mistress for the brakes and everything is all good.

He jacked up the car checked everything related to the brakes then did a quick lap around the block testing the brakes.

He did say that if I fitted brakes that were an option for my model (REDLINE Brembo’s) that I would not have needed to do the mod plate at all.

In the end it was $360 and just over a hours work and I would highly recommend M1 safety certificates to get your mod plates done.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
^ great that it all worked out and your brakes are now legit :)

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
So just had the mod plate done on the mistress for the brakes and everything is all good.

He jacked up the car checked everything related to the brakes then did a quick lap around the block testing the brakes.

He did say that if I fitted brakes that were an option for my model (REDLINE Brembo’s) that I would not have needed to do the mod plate at all.

In the end it was $360 and just over a hours work and I would highly recommend M1 safety certificates to get your mod plates done.

wish it was this easy in NSW

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon

How'd ya go at the main roads ?, I cant recall going there when I got my plate done .

Mattricho

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV my15
I asked the guy about that and he said that I don’t need to do anything with main roads but that he has to submit paper work to main roads and for me to keep a copy in the car as well.

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
I asked the guy about that and he said that I don’t need to do anything with main roads but that he has to submit paper work to main roads and for me to keep a copy in the car as well.
Ah ok I mighta been told the same , but I got that on top of a charger , cam and exhaust . from what I can tell I'm also exempt from those test also because there is no testing facilities in QLD ?