Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Jake Wilson

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sedan
Hey guys,

Looking for advice on what and where to get some initial mods done to my new (second hand) VF SS (L77 auto motor). Figuring I should start with making sure i have a stable ride and can stop with confidence. I have between about $2k - $5k to spend on just the brakes and suspension first up.

I assume first port of call would be a 4-piston brembo brake kit upgrade for front and rears, but wondering about the need for a rotor and brake line upgrade to accompany it, and also where to get it done without paying an arm and a leg?

On top of that a sturdy and more secure ride sound good to me. What are some options for suspension upgrades too and where to get it done.

I live in the northern suburbs of Adelaide, but im willing to travel to get good value. I can also spend the time hunting down a good online deal for a kit etc. if anyone knows a mechanic thats happy to fit that for me?

Cheers

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
That last sentence is exactly what I was gonna suggest! :)

Find a good mechanic & you’ll keep going back there, and wonder why on earth you ever bothered with numpties or (worse) dealers.

You may also find Cadillac CTS-V brakes on eBay, better components again than the Redline stuff available here (but consumables for the Redline or HSV AP brakes are probably easier to obtain ... the federal government’s kowtowing to Gerry Harvey is making it harder to get parts from OS that aren’t available here).

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
That last sentence is exactly what I was gonna suggest! :)

Find a good mechanic & you’ll keep going back there, and wonder why on earth you ever bothered with numpties or (worse) dealers.

You may also find Cadillac CTS-V brakes on eBay, better components again than the Redline stuff available here (but consumables for the Redline or HSV AP brakes are probably easier to obtain ... the federal government’s kowtowing to Gerry Harvey is making it harder to get parts from OS that aren’t available here).

Somebody posted a link to the Cadillac CTS-V brakes from Amazon , that compared to the Ebay prices were really good , I think it was @Mattricho , I was spewin because I believe the ones I got off ebay were refurbished and not new as advertised and a lot cheaper.

Just remember , bigger brakes might require different rims and disc uprades.

EDIT :From what ive read of your post's so far , expect your budget to be blown outa the water real quick

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Do note that brake upgrades require an engineer sign it off otherwise it is considered an illegal mod which can impact your registration status and your vehicle insurance. So factor that into the cost calculation.

All this was discussed ad nauseam in a thread, I think started by @Ron Burgundy, some time ago. Had a quick look but didn’t find it.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
^ with headaches :eek:

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
Morpowa
Paul pavlov motorsport
Power tech the old willall
Enhanced automotive have a new tenancy in tea tree gully

Do the standard OTR, exhaust and tune first. Brakes arent really needed for the street.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Do note that brake upgrades require an engineer sign it off otherwise it is considered an illegal mod which can impact your registration status and your vehicle insurance. So factor that into the cost calculation.

All this was discussed ad nauseam in a thread, I think started by @Ron Burgundy, some time ago. Had a quick look but didn’t find it.
Incorrect in the case of using factory brembos or HSV AP calipers these came ADR cert in Australia on that chassis so can be owner certified. When I was at bosch it's a little muddy wether they say it's okay but as far as rego is concerned it's all good.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Hey guys,

Looking for advice on what and where to get some initial mods done to my new (second hand) VF SS (L77 auto motor). Figuring I should start with making sure i have a stable ride and can stop with confidence. I have between about $2k - $5k to spend on just the brakes and suspension first up.

I assume first port of call would be a 4-piston brembo brake kit upgrade for front and rears, but wondering about the need for a rotor and brake line upgrade to accompany it, and also where to get it done without paying an arm and a leg?

On top of that a sturdy and more secure ride sound good to me. What are some options for suspension upgrades too and where to get it done.

I live in the northern suburbs of Adelaide, but im willing to travel to get good value. I can also spend the time hunting down a good online deal for a kit etc. if anyone knows a mechanic thats happy to fit that for me?

Cheers
Honestly the factory brakes are fine if you really need to change just move to the redline package. With suspension just throw some pedders coilovers in, yes there are brands just as good for a little cheaper but warranty is an issue whereas pedders they give you 40k 2 years drive in anytime and get it sorted accross all of Australia which imo is worth the extra.
You could go custom Bilstien shocks cut and shut into the housings with Eibach springs and have them custom valved and spend 5k on suspension but it's easier just using tried and tested coilovers.

Stay away from slotted rotors holden tested these for the Redline SS and found standard performed better HSV use them for looks only.