Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brake upgrade from SSV to SSVR Brembo's - Take 2

jono67

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 S1 Calais V Sportwagon V6
Hi guys, I'm not wanting to re-open the can of worms which was Ron's thread (I'm not having a go, it raised a lot of great issues and discussion, but is now locked anyway). I just have a few questions.

I have a SSV and am looking at putting on a VFII Brembo front brake upgrade kit, so the questions are:

1) Putting aside the whole legality side of things, which was well and truly covered in Ron's thread, has anyone here fitted a kit and had any issues due to just bolting on hardware only with them, in particular the ABS due to potential software calibration differences between the two models?

2) Has anyone bought brake upgrades from the guy who is in the link below. He advertises a stack of Holden stuff on Gumtree. For $1625 the kit includes:

Genuine VFII SSV Redline Brembo Calipers
Genuine SSV Redline large disk rotors
Genuine Brake pad kit
Genuine Pad pin kits
Genuine Caliper mounting bolt kit

I did call and speak to him. He has various 'sources' for his parts and is just a one man show. The kit itself seem well priced and will bolt straight onto my SSV. Just not sure about purchasing from someone only advertising brand new stuff on Gumtree (ie no website).

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/cha...-ve-redline-v8-kit-calipers-discs-/1184294448

Just for the record, I spoke to Holden parts, and it seems that as per many posts in Ron's thread, the master cylinder is different in the Redline, but that it seems to be the only thing I may have to change. I am currently in contact with an engineer to see about certification, and am waiting on him to get back to me. The plan is to purchase a set of 20" HSVi HF-20 rims to fit over them.

As suggested to Ron, why bother, sell up and purchase a Redline? I love the colour of my car and it would be hard to find a Redline in the same, plus i purposefully went for the SSV as I am no fan of sunroofs.

Mavericks Choice

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV M6, VF2 LS3 Calais V, VZ 6L M6 Crewie
I have a My16 SSV ute & have fitted after market Harrop brakes single piece calipers, there were zero issues with abs by just fitting the hardware. I'm still running the oem SSV master cylinder too. Compared to oem these brakes are awesome.

jono67

Reaction score
Members Ride
I have a My16 SSV ute & have fitted after market Harrop brakes single piece calipers, there were zero issues with abs by just fitting the hardware. I'm still running the oem SSV master cylinder too. Compared to oem these brakes are awesome.
Thanks for the input Mav, I am hoping there won't be an issue if I do this upgrade. Tossing up whether to change the master cylinder or not.

Mattricho

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV my15
@jono67 for a couple of hundred (usd to aus conversation) more you could get the CTS-V 6-4 pot with everything needed except disks!
The eBay seller I delt with said he could supply the disks if needed Or you can buy them locally like I did.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Brake booster is also different.

Some people did it without upgrading the booster or bmc and it is fine, but the brake pedal feel will be much better with the upgrade. If you want it certified I suspect the upgrade of the booster and bmc would be required.

PS. I am having flashbacks about this LOL

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
$3k for HSV AP disks with 4 pots all round seems pretty good?

jono67

Reaction score
Members Ride
@jono67 for a couple of hundred (usd to aus conversation) more you could get the CTS-V 6-4 pot with everything needed except disks!
The eBay seller I delt with said he could supply the disks if needed Or you can buy them locally like I did.
Thanks Mattricho, mmmm, some food for thought there. Will look into it.

jono67

Reaction score
Members Ride
Brake booster is also different.

Some people did it without upgrading the booster or bmc and it is fine, but the brake pedal feel will be much better with the upgrade. If you want it certified I suspect the upgrade of the booster and bmc would be required.

PS. I am having flashbacks about this LOL

Thanks Ron, sorry to drudge up bad memories mate, I actually read through your thread twice, what an ordeal.

Yeah it's funny how many different answers you get. I spoke to Holden Spare parts in Lidcombe (pretty large Holden spare parts place in Sydney). The guy there was very helpful, but he said the boosters are the same from SSV to Redline, go figure.

I also spoke to 3 independent certifiers who were listed on the RMS website. Two of them gave me a straight out "you don't need certifying". The third guy after a lengthy chat said that was well, but said he'd have to look at it in more detail to give me a 100% not needed. Anyway, I am thinking of not worrying about certifying at this point in time.

My main concerns are any issues with the ABS, and to find out if anyone had purchased from said seller.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
@jono67 would any of the certifiers you talked to provide any docs ststing that by using a specific parts in your brake upgrade you dont need certifying? If so fantastic.

As to ABS, you are free to put same size **** tires on your car without regulatory concern which surely must mean you either don't have an impact on system behaviour with slipery tires or the system is designed to cope with slippery tires. Same goes for same size real sticky tires.

Do consider how your insurasnce company will consider such a mod as its not just regulations to be concerne about. If they're happy and the certifiers has provided a written statement confirming you are ok, then easy peasy

And as mentioned, as your doing an upgrade, do the 6/4 pot CTSV upgrade :D

jono67

Reaction score
Members Ride
@jono67 would any of the certifiers you talked to provide any docs ststing that by using a specific parts in your brake upgrade you dont need certifying? If so fantastic.
Ha, highly unlikelyo_O, although the third guy sounded very thorough in his understanding of it all so IF I do go down that road I'll be dealing with him.

Agree regarding tyres, car regulations overall are a mess. Mechanic replaced the front disks on my wife's Honda with non original disks and pads when they were shot. Don't think Honda would have tested her model with those ......... mmmmmm........ so does that make her car illegal now:D:D:D

Yeah have already been in touch with insurance company. VERY tempting the 6/4 pots!!!