Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brake upgrade from SSV to SSVR Brembo's - Take 2

jono67

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 S1 Calais V Sportwagon V6
Lex they were fine with it and the wheels (AAMI), I just need to adjust my insured figure to cover them, they did not ask about certification as it is brakes and rims only. As debated in Rons thread, if any one with mods such as these has an at fault accident, how hard do their assessors/lawyers go into looking at such things if someone has bolted them on without certification? Is the fact that you are within VSI No. 6 regs (NSW) enough? Who knowso_O

Mattricho

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV my15
For what it’s worth the front caliper Bolts on the my15 ssv fit the 6 piston Brembo’s.
all I’m going to do when it comes time to fit them (waiting for new wheels) is get all new caliber bolts front and rear.

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
I bolted the gear up to my 2014 ute and it works just fine, been like that for close to 3 years now. I did have to frankenstein the rear dust shields to fit the rotors on, but everything works like it should. Pedal feels fine (much firmer with the 4pots all round) and it pulls up fine. I don't get to use the ABS much because I've got sticky rubber, it just nosedives and stops.

As far as selling it up for a Redline, I couldn't justify the cost premium. For what I paid for mine new, plus the cam, exhaust, intake, tune, wheels/tyres and brakes I'm in it for a touch less than what it would have cost me to buy a Redline at time of purchase and I'd have a stock Redline for that money...

Mavericks Choice

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV M6, VF2 LS3 Calais V, VZ 6L M6 Crewie
but he said the boosters are the same from SSV to Redline,
Yes booster is identical, I have terrific pedal feel with the smaller master.

jono67

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 S1 Calais V Sportwagon V6
I bolted the gear up to my 2014 ute and it works just fine, been like that for close to 3 years now. I did have to frankenstein the rear dust shields to fit the rotors on, but everything works like it should. Pedal feels fine (much firmer with the 4pots all round) and it pulls up fine. I don't get to use the ABS much because I've got sticky rubber, it just nosedives and stops.

As far as selling it up for a Redline, I couldn't justify the cost premium. For what I paid for mine new, plus the cam, exhaust, intake, tune, wheels/tyres and brakes I'm in it for a touch less than what it would have cost me to buy a Redline at time of purchase and I'd have a stock Redline for that money...
Thanks for the feedback Smashfist, I'm thinking there will be no issues re: ABS by the sound of it. Same for me with the SSV vs Redline, plus the colour and no sunroof as mentioned.

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
Wait so SS has smaller booster than SSV but has the same brakes?

Mavericks Choice

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV M6, VF2 LS3 Calais V, VZ 6L M6 Crewie
Wait so SS has smaller booster than SSV but has the same brakes?
SS & SSV have the same braking system, SSV Redline have Brembo's. Only master cylinder bore on SS & SSV is smaller than Redline.

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
Brake booster is also different.

Some people did it without upgrading the booster or bmc and it is fine, but the brake pedal feel will be much better with the upgrade. If you want it certified I suspect the upgrade of the booster and bmc would be required.

PS. I am having flashbacks about this LOL
So we're deadlocked. Ron is suggesting it is a different brake booster and bmc. Mavericks Choice, just the bmc. Regardless, are they a straight bolt up when using Oem, at least for the bmc? What kind of $$$ are we talking?

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
My research had shown different part numbers between redline and non redline booster

Unless the booster and bmc are listed as whole assembly under 1 part no. Which would explain the difference