Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brake upgrade options

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Now I don't think there will be many people who can answer this question but i'm going to throw it out there any way.
I'm trying to work out which way to go with regards to brakes from the following two options;

Option 1: Group A/GTS setup. Twin piston calipers on 327mmx28mm rotors
Option 2: VT HSV upgrade. Twin piston C5 calipers on 330mmx32mm rotors with VT booster and master.

Now the VT setup is going to cost alot more then the Group A is so my question is has anyone driven with both setups? Is the added expense of the VT setup going to give a substantial differnece in the braking?
I had the standard VT setup on my VR with the stock booster and 1" master and was fairly happy with it but still had some pedal travel, hance the booster upgrade.

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
Same question that I asked ages ago but didn't really get a response.

Everyone I asked had different opinions, from engineers, mechanics and brake workshops.

I was going to go for the Group A setup, as no engineer cert is required, so less hassle, but I couldn't find a front and rear set for a decent price.

pow3rslave

DoNothing Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5.0L
I couldn't speak to the stopping power of either, but i always heard the vt setup needed engineering because of the adaptor plate, whereas because the group a were an optional (albeit top end) brake for the vn, they were ok.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
I couldn't speak to the stopping power of either, but i always heard the vt setup needed engineering because of the adaptor plate, whereas because the group a were an optional (albeit top end) brake for the vn, they were ok.
Who honestly gets anything engineered? Did you get your engine mods EPA tested and signed off? lol
Not worried about the legalities of it but after which kit is better.

pow3rslave

DoNothing Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5.0L
Who honestly gets anything engineered? Did you get your engine mods EPA tested and signed off? lol
Not worried about the legalities of it but after which kit is better.

my engine doesn't have mods, it has... eccentricities :whistling

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Use the VE spec upgrade kit. Comes with 330mm rotors, VE calipers, pads, braided lines, fluid and all the mounting hardware including hubs to suit the VN. No need to upgrade the booster or the master as the pistons in the calipers have similar displacement to the stock single piston items.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Use the VE spec upgrade kit. Comes with 330mm rotors, VE calipers, pads, braided lines, fluid and all the mounting hardware including hubs to suit the VN. No need to upgrade the booster or the master as the pistons in the calipers have similar displacement to the stock single piston items.
Hmmm interesting. Any more info on the kit?

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I don't know of anyone that's had both but I know lots of people with the VT brakes and don't think they are all they could be. I'd be going with group A infact I'd just be happy with a brake pedal that moved right now :)

Vt-Brrrlina

vp bt1 gts replica
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp bt1 5.0ltr full GTS kit
if ya want the Vt booster i have the race brakes one that i am not gunna use, its the vt booster with the adapters for your brake lines an the adapter to fit the brake pedal or something like that, anyway vt booster to fit vn vp, all it needs is a mastre cylnder...