Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brakes again.

adam.linton

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf2 sv6 sportwagon
Hey brains trust.
sorry if its covered elsewhere, but Ive searched the threads and cant find the answer.. Brake compounds for everyday driver... OE, metalic, kevlar, ceramic?
Ive got a 2015 sv6 sportswagon. Sofar, 83k kms on OE factory brakes. So whats everyones thoughts on brake conpounds and brands? Every brake shop says different. aaaannndd go..

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I think "what for?" is a valid question ... if it's for driving normally around the street, then probably just an OEM replacement from a brand name you've heard of.
If you're pushing it hard enough to notice brake inefficiency or fade or locking, then IMHO it's unlikely switching to a different pad is going to make a lot of difference & you might be better off improving the brakes in general. However, people can probably provide suggestions for pads which work a little better than standard, depending on use even if you've not experienced any problems; eg. if you're planning on going to some driver-training days at a race-track.

adam.linton

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf2 sv6 sportwagon
I think "what for?" is a valid question ... if it's for driving normally around the street, then probably just an OEM replacement from a brand name you've heard of.
If you're pushing it hard enough to notice brake inefficiency or fade or locking, then IMHO it's unlikely switching to a different pad is going to make a lot of difference & you might be better off improving the brakes in general. However, people can probably provide suggestions for pads which work a little better than standard, depending on use even if you've not experienced any problems; eg. if you're planning on going to some driver-training days at a race-track.
Thanks Forg, yeah "normal" commo driving. Worth the ask, got one dealer saying go kevlar for all 4, for $600 pads only, which seems a little rich

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF Calais V 6.0 | 2013 VF Calais V V6 Wagon
I rate the performance of the DBA XP, however they are fairly noisy.

I have them with DBA T3 slotted rotors

Z31na

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF Commodore Evoke
Often the trade off is more dust. Have not used them but supposably Bendix ultimate plus were made because too many people were complaining about dust from plain ultimates. Price your going to pay for either will greatly outweigh their usefulness if your driving yourself around town in it though.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
I put a set of rda slotted and dimpled rotors with ebc ultimax pads from empowered auto parts on my ve and it made a decent improvement in stopping power

adam.linton

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf2 sv6 sportwagon
I put a set of rda slotted and dimpled rotors with ebc ultimax pads from empowered auto parts on my ve and it made a decent improvement in stopping power
Cheers mate. Will check em out

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
I just use Bendix Ultimate on my cars. Works well for general use and I do the occasional run up and down Mount Glorious without any brake fade issues.

I used to have slotted brakes on my SV6, which looked good but I went away from them as the noise got too annoying for my liking (sort of like a grinding noise under braking).