Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brakes and suspension

VZ1CAR59

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 05
Afternoon all, looking at doing components of my brakes and suspension over next month or so. Figure doing them in one go would save a bit of time. Few questions, (my car is VZ SV6 2005)

The shock absorbers are pretty worn all over. Looking at replacing these starting with front and then on to back. Reasonably happy with fe2 factory suspension but Holden no longer sells for parts for them. What in your experience is the best shockies?

As for the brakes from what I understand the go to is DBA slotted rotors and whatever brake pad you chose will be alright provided they aren't cheap eBay junk. I know the pads are worn but the discs seemingly have a good bit of life left in them. Both are at 27.8 mm and min is 25mm. My question is how much life do these discs have left in them/original manufacturer size. I dont mind replacing them if they're due in within a year but they seem to be quite healthy right?

Finally I'm wanting to take on the outer suspension cross member bushes. They are cracked getting lots of movement. Whats the experience with urethane vs factory rubber? A quick run down of the job would be great.

There's loads of how tos so I'm gonna try just work it out for myself but a heads up in regards to any issues I will come across would be great.

Cheers fellas, apologies for rather simple questions

Fachoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
calais 2
all your questions relate to how long will replacement options last and cost and what is best to use as in brands ?

Well most of the items are now due to be done since 16 years old considering factory just used simple rubber products which gave a simple softer ride. Best to just replace all with cost effective stock factory replacement for the same ride and handling.
If your wanting to spend more dollars and use better urethane long lasting products, yes your handling will improve with better tyres as well but it will change the ride feel, to more feeling harsher and more noise amplified.
Your choice to what you want regardless of what people say, only way to find out is to pay/change your stock rubber settings.

Discs within spec ok to use with new pads as long as no deep grooves, and not warped, but if you want to spend money on more fancy stuff sure just replace everything though your brake performance might only improve a little over standard.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
Either Forsa (bit dusty) or ceramic pads are streets ahead of standard pads. They are dearer but well worth the extra money as are DBA slotted rotors.