Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brakes Dragging, tried everything!!

ecotec38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 Commodore 3.8
Hi all,

I have a 97 model vs commodore with abs and recently out of the blue all 4 brakes have been dragging after
a short while of driving, it doesnt do it when you first get into the car its only after about 10-15 mins.
I have:
- Replaced booster
- Changed master cylinder with one i know is working properly
- Changed ABS module
- Checked all brake lines for kinks or dints
- Got new fluid and bled it numerous times
- Checked and replaced little one way valve that goes into booster

Now heres that part that gets me, once it has started locking up, sometimes to the point where its barely
even driveable because they are locked up soo bad and i pull out the little valve that goes into the booster
so it releases all the vacuum or pressure and the cars brakes will free up.
Any ideas?

Deltak

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Hi,

It could be that one (or more) calipers have dirt/rust caught between the piston and the caliper - which can hold the pad on. With the car out of gear, released Handbrake and chocked in place, jack each wheel up and see if it turns easily. This will tell you if it is all brakes - Master cylinder etc OR only one brake - ie the wheel cylinder.

If it is one caliper, push back the piston and then pump the brake pedal to move the pad back on the disk.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Have you greased the sliders on the calipers? you should be able to move them by hand when you have them apart. (pads out)

ecotec38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 Commodore 3.8
I have checked all the wheels and they all turn fine... when the car hasnt been for that short drive, i also replaced the front pads with new ones and greased the slides, the car drives absolutely perfectly for the first 10 or so minutes but after that short amount of time when vacuum builds up in the booster or brake fluid gets hot or whatever happens it just starts to drag until it gets to the point where you can barely even drive it anymore. The wierdest thing for me is when they are jammed on all i have to do is release the vacuum pressure from the booster and the brakes free up

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Because it's all four brakes and you can free it up by breaking the vacuum to the booster I think it's going to be something in the area of the pedal, booster or M/C.

Carpet snagging the pedal?

Perhaps a brake light or cruise control switch is holding the pedal down?

Worn and sticking pedal pivot bush?

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
Check that the return spring on the pedal has not broken or slipped off.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Silly question time, If the engine manifold vacuum creates vacuum in the booster through the vac hose, and vacuum is somehow released or lost when you apply the brakes ( otherwise you would not need a vacuum line because the booster would hold vacuum forever.... ) it seems your system is holding too much vacuum !! Did you put the valve on backwards or something ? was any work done to the brakes or engine before this trouble started ?

ecotec38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 Commodore 3.8
Nope i dont think it would be them, as said earlier its fine for the first 10 or so minutes.

Return spring is fine.

Nope literally hadn't opened the bonnet for like a month and then all of a sudden this happens, very strange

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Check the one way valve that connects to the booster, it is the little plastic attachment that the vacuum line attaches to that goes into the booster.

saegs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim S2
I'm having the exact same problem with my VT, I've tried replacing everything including the booster, valve on booster, abs module, master cylinder, greased slides and replaced break fluid. Did you get the problem sorted?