Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brakes make strange sound sometimes?

Juice3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX
This rarely happens but when it does it makes a strange shhhhhh gerrr sound when i press down on the brakes??

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Not much information to go on so I will ask, how are your brake pads?

vrsprspt

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 1 VT Senator
Could be a wheel bearing on it's way out or worn suspension. Have even found that after working on a car, if you don't do the sway bar link pins tight enough it can cause noise under braking. Have you worked on the front end lately?

Juice3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX
Not much information to go on so I will ask, how are your brake pads?

can't remember the last time they've been changed, the sound is similar to losing traction on wet grass but it's not losing traction just happens when I brake car is an auto holden vx berlina 2002

Juice3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX
Could be a wheel bearing on it's way out or worn suspension. Have even found that after working on a car, if you don't do the sway bar link pins tight enough it can cause noise under braking. Have you worked on the front end lately?

Not myself but holden changed out suspension bushings and tie rod end

vrsprspt

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 1 VT Senator
Not myself but holden changed out suspension bushings and tie rod end
Has the noise only started since Holden working on it?
One quick check is while the car is on the ground, get under the front near the wheel on each side and try and grab the sway bar link pins and wiggle them around to see if they are loose. If too hard, drive the front wheels up onto a couple blocks of wood or something to give you more room to get underneath the car. The front wheels have to be on the ground taking the weight of the car for this to work........a sloped driveway maybe. Anything that will give you clearance under the car

gregaust

Reaction score
This rarely happens but when it does it makes a strange shhhhhh gerrr sound when i press down on the brakes??

I've had bad noises in a VT with Hardy Ferodo pads , switched to Bendix all good :)

Juice3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX
Has the noise only started since Holden working on it?
One quick check is while the car is on the ground, get under the front near the wheel on each side and try and grab the sway bar link pins and wiggle them around to see if they are loose. If too hard, drive the front wheels up onto a couple blocks of wood or something to give you more room to get underneath the car. The front wheels have to be on the ground taking the weight of the car for this to work........a sloped driveway maybe. Anything that will give you clearance under the car

Don't know tbh. when I come up to a round about and put brakes on, the brakes work but make this cherrrr chooo sound if it was brake pads wouldn't it be making this sound all the time? it happens maybe once every two weeks so very random

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Seriously doubt it'd be link pins.....Worn link pins rattle when hitting bumps as well, not just under braking.....It's quite possible either the slide pins in the calipers are starting to sieze up, or maybe even the booster is starting to go....To check the booster, start the car and before driving off, pump the pedal a few times and see if you can hear noises from that. Look for signs of brake pad material on the rotors....This is a sign the slide pins are seizing up in the calipers.....2nd thoughts, grease them up anyways....This can only be beneficial anyways.

There's a few starting items

vrsprspt

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 1 VT Senator
Seriously doubt it'd be link pins.....Worn link pins rattle when hitting bumps as well, not just under braking.....It's quite possible either the slide pins in the calipers are starting to sieze up, or maybe even the booster is starting to go....To check the booster, start the car and before driving off, pump the pedal a few times and see if you can hear noises from that. Look for signs of brake pad material on the rotors....This is a sign the slide pins are seizing up in the calipers.....2nd thoughts, grease them up anyways....This can only be beneficial anyways.

There's a few starting items

Listen for noises from the booster...in the engine bay...while the engine is running? Wouldn't be able to hear anything but the engine running.

Brake pad material on the rotors??..WTF? On a brake rotor that is a flat surface, where is this brake pad material going to be?

Before you go 'seriously doubting' other peoples ideas, have a look at your own ideas and how shallow and uneducated they are