Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brakes on VE's now, why do they face the other way?

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
I have been meaning to ask, why do the VE brake calipers pull the car up from behind the rotor now, when the back of the caliper used to be facing towards the front of the car?

I would have thought it would be more work pulling the car up from the other side of the rotor as opposed to pulling it up from the front?? I drove past a VE last night and noticed it and it reminded me to ask........

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VL Show car, VS Exec, VY Ute, YZ250F
just a random stab in the dark but my thought is that because the tie rod end (steering rack) is on the front of the k frame they had to move the brakes so they could fit the tie rod end on the hub with out the caliper causing probs

doesnt matter where the caliper is mounted it will still have the same pushing/pulling force as the disc is going round

ill look tommorow at work and see if the tierod is where i think it is

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
Ahhh that's an interesting point!

That would be good cheers man.

Troy5L

building a lemon
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gu patrol td42
they would be doin the same thing but in a different position...but prob moved it as stated in apost above

Ado

Are we there yet?
Reaction score
Members Ride
vsII statesman L67
Might have something to do with the crumple zone thing they have in the front.I think it makes them cheaper to repair and if thats the case if they are now in the rear then less parts would get damaged in a front end colision.Sorry if thats hard to understand because its hard for me to explain.

gslrallysport

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ AWD One Tonner
just a random stab in the dark but my thought is that because the tie rod end (steering rack) is on the front of the k frame
If the VE does have a forward mounted steering rack, which is shedloads better for handling (I haven't looked so can't confirm either way) then that would certainly explain a rear mounted caliper. Doesn't really make a difference either way.

monaro327

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Skaife Senator & VY SS UTE
yep ve has front mounted rack.

gslrallysport

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ AWD One Tonner
That's a bloody good thing, and kudos to Holden... Also means you can hit stuff side on at full lock (like gutters) without bending steering components, a further bonus when VE's start to get cheap enough that drift inspired P platers can afford them.