Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

brakes question

slayer

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn wgn
hey all i want to know hwat is the diff betwwen v66 and v8 brakes asi want to up grade my brakes in mt car ( but as cheap as possible

VN Commy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN 5 spd/VR Calais daily driver
Most V6s don't have FE2 suspension which came with 290mm disks. Most V8s had this. You've probably got 270mm disks. As far as I'm aware the calipers just bolt straight on (same size pads too) and just get a pair of slotted 290mm disks for some extra bite. It's a lot cheaper than a VT break upgrade. I think you can get a pair of VS or VR (not exactly sure) calipers with have cooling fins if you're doing a bit of heavy breaking. Run some quality break pads too. Does anyone know if it's worth while upgrading to a 1" master cylinder?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
the 1" master cylinder is a worthwhile upgrade it should give a slightly firmer pedal and a little less pedal travel as well. you should be able to get one from repco that'll bolt straight on from the V8 model

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
VN Commy said:
you can get a pair of VS or VR (not exactly sure) calipers which have cooling fins if you're doing a bit of heavy braking.

Anyone painted those calipers? We're painting the hubs on my mate's VR - bright yellow, to match the rest of the car :D and we're looking to do the calipers too. Is there any way to do this without disconnecting any lines, or do we need to sand the calipers back to bare metal etc . . . ?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
VHT do a line for high temp areas etc including brake calipers/rotors i believe, especially formulated to withstand brake fluids etc. give em a good clean with some degreaser first and a scrub with a wire brush to remove any shite should do. i'd suggest unbolting the caliper, remove the brake pads, get some news paper and cover the brake rotor with the news paper and then sit the caliper on that to paint it, wrap something aroundthe brakelines to keep that paint free also

H

HATER VP

What model are you talking about? VN / VP Brakes had different calipers, they had fins in them. They are the same caliper as used in all VR Models. Also different master and Booster.

Ive got VT Calipers, DBA Slotted Rotors for VT on my VP V8. Well worth the upgrade.