Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brakes squeal hard when i brake

tdirago

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive
When i brake, there is a loud squeling sound coming from the brakes, i cant pinpoint any particular one.

So I did as the mechanic had suggested a month before and replaced my front disc pads and also spray painted my calipers. The squeling has got worse ;((((((

what are some things i can try, they said i should sand my rotor back. Is the rotor the disc or what?

suggestions would b g00d thankz

Tim Smtih

Sexy Man
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Members Ride
just buy a v8 lol
Usually when you change your brake pads they have a bedding in period (hence the squeaking), unless you get your rotors machined at the same time in which case this shouldn't be the case. I didn't bother doing the rotors and it took a month for the squeaking to stop. There are products for sale which are supposed to stop the squeaking but i haven't tried them. I did use a spray on brake/parts cleaner that did a great job, this may be of use to you if you made a mess of the rotors and surrounding area when you painted the calipers.

GM GEN3

GM GEN3
Reaction score
Members Ride
legs ATM
Did you check the rear pad's mate I'm did the same they were down to the metal worth k look at if you didn't also spray some brake cleaner on there mate see how that goes!

Rhin0o8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais Impounded?
just as GM GEN3 said Check the rear brakes.
My bet it is the inner pads on the rear brakes worn

tdirago

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive
yep ill check the back tomorrow

if there is plenty of padding left on the brake pad what should i do? that means the squeaking isnt the break pads, do i just spray the cleaner on everything and scrub it or wut haah, im new to this stuff ;)

GM GEN3

GM GEN3
Reaction score
Members Ride
legs ATM
I think you just spray it on mate you might find that just the inner pad is worn if there is still good meat on there i just rub it on the cement to clean the toP of the pad some time the rear pad's glaze over just check it out tomorrow and let us know how you get on mate

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
If the pads have plenty of meat then the squeal is most likely a high frequency vibration from the pads against the caliper.

The rotors should have been skimmed when you fitted new pads for a start. Try removing the pads and putting a thin layer of silicone on the back of them (the metal part) or you can buy special glue for the backs of the pads, its normally red/orange in colour.

tdirago

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive
well yea, i got some 80grit sand paper and sanded the **** out of it haha, gonna sand the back ones tomorrow when i have time