Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

brakes stuck on due to handbrake

Zort58

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Wagon
im currently getting a vk back on the road its been sitting there for about 6 years with the handbrake on now as a result the brakes r locked on. i menaged to get one drum off it the shoes are in the lock position. now with the handbrake off i can c where the the brake shoes should b but they not. any suggestions as to what i can do to get the brake to release so i can move it again

cheers

Zort58

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Wagon
yeah i got the drum off when i got the drum off the brake shoes seem to have gone out more to the point i cant fit the drum back over it. b4 i go hitting the shoes with a hammer to try and get them back in and freem them dont wanna do more dammage then need be. so was thinking peice of wood to protect the shoes. when i get this side freed up have to do the same on the other side

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
huh? so you have the drum off, and your trying to get it back on??? there is a little wheel with opposite threads on either side in your brake shoe assembly. when you turn the wheel the two shoes will compress which will allow you to put the drum back on. if you do it too loose you can access the wheel through a sight hole in the drum, from there you tighten it up a little.

or am i completely off the mark? i dont really understand what it is you are asking.

drum_01.jpg

down the bottom of the assembly in that shot labelled "brake adjuster". its not a commo, but still a similar setup.

Zort58

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Wagon
sorry for not being to clear but yeah trying to get the drum back on, ill try readjusting the shoes tomorrow and c how it goes.
i had the handbrake on for 6 years and the shoes have sized in the on postion took a day to get the drum off to find out the problem as to why the brakes was still on.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
yeah as long as the shoes are moving in and out freely when you pull on the cable i cant see a problem with just adjusting that wheel. undo it heaps if you have to cos like i said, there is a sight hole in the drum that you stick a blade screw driver in after its on and re-tighten them up

good luck ;)

hiy_po

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Executive
I would completely strip down your brakes give them a good wash then reassemble the brakes. Screw your adjusters in all the way while there apart and reset them when back together. while they are in bits you can also check for seized or damaged parts that are causing it to seize up. It seems a waste to get the drum off then just put it back on without actually fixing anything. I would also check your handbrake cables while the shoes were removed to make sure they are free and moving, maybe aim some of that wd40 up the cable housing.

Zort58

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Wagon
the brake cyclinder is seized and stopping the shopes from closeing, but the bigger problem i found was that the axle or diff is all siezed up havent checked which, i have got my my hands on another diff with working brakes so im just going to swape the diff over more work but the end result is what matters, cheers for the help