Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

brakes

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
I recently changed the brakes on my vt to 4 pot callipers. This has left me with the old brakes. My vb has 4 pot callipers on the front with standard vl turbo brakes on the back. To save me the trouble of taking the rear rotors off does anyone know if the rear vt brakes will bolt on witout any modification?

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
Nope the mounting holes are slightly closer together, easy fix is to just re drill the rear mount holes slightly closer together but then the handbrake wont work with the VT rear rotors as the inside diameter is too large and the handbrake shoes are unable to come out far enough to hit the disc even at full adjustment, and you cant use the VB original rear rotors cause there either below the minimum thickness of the VT rotor or are to smaller diameter, or both i dont remember.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for that. The vb pulls up pretty good anyway. Was just a thought.

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
Nope the mounting holes are slightly closer together, easy fix is to just re drill the rear mount holes slightly closer together but then the handbrake wont work with the VT rear rotors as the inside diameter is too large and the handbrake shoes are unable to come out far enough to hit the disc even at full adjustment, and you cant use the VB original rear rotors cause there either below the minimum thickness of the VT rotor or are to smaller diameter, or both i dont remember.

The do fit and with a hellof alot of work yes they do fit

scott

Attachments

• smIMGP2501.JPG
    smIMGP2501.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 559

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
I have been told today that Harrop have a conversion kit. Will find out tomorrow. Will report back on my findings.

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
it would be good if someone made a disc to suit so people with no fabrication skills like me can put them on easier.

Didnt you redrill the backing plates holes to suit the VT calipers scott?

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
it would be good if someone made a disc to suit so people with no fabrication skills like me can put them on easier.

Yeah welded up the original holes measured up and drilled new holes, got one perfect one wrong, welded up the bad one and redrilled correctly and it was sweet. Very fiddly process I think I spent 3 days on my rear brakes, between getting brake lines made, drilling & welding, machining for the discs.

scott

HOLD3N

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
Ive got the Harrop conversion kit for my 4 spot (harrops, HSV). When it comes to brakes best advice is to do it properly, although there are cheaper ways of doing things I chose to use the harrop kit as it is engineered for this application. You cannot put a price in your safety.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS

the VN Grp A conversion is quite straight forward, if you can find the adaptor bracket for the caliper (the caliper is just a regular VN 5L front caliper - finned type)
they use larger diameter, ventilated rear discs, which are still available from DBA. That's what I'd be using if I could find someone who makes the brackets.

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
the VN Grp A conversion is quite straight forward, if you can find the adaptor bracket for the caliper (the caliper is just a regular VN 5L front caliper - finned type)
they use larger diameter, ventilated rear discs, which are still available from DBA. That's what I'd be using if I could find someone who makes the brackets.

Wonder what it does to bias, as the rears are pretty big then.