Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brakes

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
don't worry about upgrading the rears as the fronts do most of the work, just fit new disc's and good pads. get the 1" master cylinder from the VN V8 and covert the front to the VT 300mm disc's wiht twinspot callipers as per the Hopperstoppers conversion. to do this conversion you have to fit special hubs that come in the hopperstoppers kit, get the kit and upgrade to the braided lines, i think it's only another $70

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
I keep hearing about these hub adapters . . . this tells me my effective axle length will increase, making the car track wider at the front, or am I mistaken? What's the deal with them, and how much are they worth?

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
savage1987 said:
I keep hearing about these hub adapters . . . this tells me my effective axle length will increase, making the car track wider at the front, or am I mistaken? What's the deal with them, and how much are they worth?

Not hub adapters, adaptor hubs. They replace your standard ones, as VT discs don't fit onto VN hubs.

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
Aha! It all makes sense now! Thanks again, pandaman! Uh . . . Does that mean my rims also won't fit?? (Apart from the fact that they're 14s and VT brakes don't fit under them . . .)

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
savage1987 said:
Aha! It all makes sense now! Thanks again, pandaman! Uh . . . Does that mean my rims also won't fit?? (Apart from the fact that they're 14s and VT brakes don't fit under them . . .)

Actually the rims will fit because the stud pattern is the same. But come on man, I know you're sentimentally attached to the 14's but you've gotta move with the times! A nice set of second hand 15 inch alloys will only set ya back a coupla hundred anyway!

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
Yeah I know, I know . . . I haven't looked into the 15s market yet, but 'a coupla hundred' is an encouraging start . . .

Only thing is these 14s have a BRAND NEW set of tyres on them . . . just shy of $600 worth of 215s . . . it'd be a shame to let that go to waste . . .

Still, right you are - I need to upgrade . . .

As for adaptors, I just assumed the stud pattern would be different since the rotors only fit on one of the hub types . . .

Cheers
Sam

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
immortality said:
just bought a G-tech pro so i'lldo some tests on the braking times/distances with it, maybe i'll do it 10 times etc to allow for driver error etc, then i might fit the VN V8 brakes i have with a 1" master cylinder and do it all over again and see if it makes any difference i suspect that it will only pull the car up marginally quicker if at all than standard but it'll probably be more resistant to fade over a number of stops. Street Machine mag did this test some time ago on a(dear i say) ford fitted with there 300mm upgrade, it made a difference in the stopping distance but really made a big difference in the back to back stops in terms of fade and brake pedal feel etc

The difference between the stock brakes and the FE2/V8 ones is massive to say the least, no comparason, stops better, no more spongey crap feel. Well worth your couple hundred bucks :).

Also Savage 1987, If you are going to go all out on money wasting then look at the Group A kit, it's a better set of brakes than the VT setup and hardly any more money. But yeah the V8 ones with the 1 inch cylinder is enough, they should be able to lock you up from any legal speed and that's all you need really isn't it.

Edit: I'll add more, you can get the calipers for the V8 upgrade, from a VL turbo, any VN/P with FE2 suspension and VN/P V8 or any VP series two-VS they are the calipers with the fins on them. You can get the rotors from ebay for about 120$ a pair? with pads! they are like 280 mm? I think so yeah, not much difference between them and the VT brakes. Plus the calipers can be had on ebay for 30 or 40 bucks or maybe less. Then all you need is the 1 inch cylinder and you can bolt it all on.

ps when your 14 inch tyres wear out next time, got to holden and buy a set of 15x7 inch interceptors with 225's on them (costs about $420 or so bucks) cheaper than new tyres alone

Last edited:

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
Thanks a lot for that info greenfoam, you may just have saved me a bit of money for the short term. Trouble is I'll need a new back set as well because the rotors are stuffed - score marks etc. . . I just noticed them recently - first time I've ever really looked at them!

I'll keep looking around and see what shows up.
Thanks again
Sam

Oh and no, Interceptors are against my religion . . . I'd get a set of 2nd hand 15" alloys or something with a bit of class . . . I couldn't live with myself if I put Interceptors on!

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Ok Mr anti interceptor, I like them because they are light strong and cheap and the right size for go fast (aside from 14's), everything you want in a wheel :). But 15 inch alloys are ok if you want a bit of bling on your car :)