Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brakes

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
We all appreciate that VN V6 brakes are not quite up to the job when it comes to actually stopping the car . . . let alone in a hurry. Hard braking in a VN V6 is NOT fun. What options do we have to upgrade??

I know people have had VT conversions done, but is it worthwhile?

I have a feeling I've seen DBA or someone offering slotted VT front rotors. I'd be up for a set of these if I knew a bit more about the conversion . . .

How much (roughly - I have NO idea whatsoever) would the entire conversion cost?
What else (master cylinder, etc) needs replacing/changing at the same time?
What are the smallest rims you can fit the VT brakes under? (I have 14s)
Are braided brake lines worth the money, and how much money are they worth?

Any info appreciated
Cheers
Sam

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
The VT brakes fit under 15's I think...

Master cylinder, brake pads, rotors etc. they should all come with the conversion kit. Everything you need will come in the kit normally except for the VT master cylinder.

If you are willing to spend money on the braking system then it'd be worth going for the braided brake lines imo, but no idea what sorta cost.

Theres also the option of the VN Group A brakes which are corvette brakes, and theres 330mm and 310mm?? 6 piston? brakes floating around that fit using the VT hub adapter as well. But they are like $1500 and around a grand for the VN Group A setup.. You can basically do it yourself and its not massive work so even paying a mechanic wont add alot more to the overall price...

Im waiting til my rotors need changing then going for the brake upgrade, to the Group A spec if I can get my hands on them. IMO its definitely worth it, as the VN V6 brakes are worthless... They are spongey as hell and under hard braking they lock up pretty easy as well. You have to really hit the brakes to make them work hard and its not a big leap further before they do lock up. Its one of the biggest downfalls of the VN I reckon.

VN Commy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN 5 spd/VR Calais daily driver
I've got Ferodo performance pads in mine (around $400 a set), high boiling point fluid and DBA slotted rotors. Even with the standard master cyldiner and calipers it feels really solid slamming them on from 180. I admit they're not that responsive but they can pull me up pretty quick, just gotta push a little bit harder than I would in a japanese car. With good 225/50/16 tyres it takes a fair bit to lock them up. It just depends how much money you want to spend. It would be nice to have a VT or HSV conversion but thats just way out of my budjet at the moment. Don't the VL turbos have big calipers aswell? That might be a bit cheaper if you can get your hands on some.

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
They look old school . . . suit the car . . . they've been on there since my dad owned the car, and I dunno I just like them. I'll see if I can post a pic . . .

The main reason I like them is that they're different. I'd gladly take a set of 18s if they came for the right price, but at the moment I have a lot of things to repair first . . . so the budget's a little stretched. And no, I WON'T put a set of stockys on there. They're against my religion:)

Regarding the pic: feedback welcome - or constructive criticism - no "looks sh!t" comments please, unless you can list a couple of reasons . . . :)

Cheers guys
Sam

Oh and I still don't know how much I'm looking at for a VT-spec upgrade, maybe someone who's done it already can help here . . .

Attachments

• Gutted.JPG
    Gutted.JPG
    158.2 KB · Views: 273

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
Theres a lot of stuff about it on this site ...the vt upgrade that is.
Personally I went for the vt 290 mm discs slotted dba ones and qfm pads but there are a lot of different compounds in pads out there.I have the vt booster and master to give the pedal some firmness and less travel.I reckon the braided lines would be the go if I could make the cost cover the effectiveness. If you have the money the extra 330mm discs and adapters would be better but the vt 290mm should be enough.

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
I don't need to go as big as 330mm . . . VT 290 slotted will do me just fine.

Only thing my folks suggested (one of their cars is a VT) is that the brakes squeal alot . . . do the slotted rotors prevent this to any extent? (markovr you can help me here)

And yeah I briefly searched the forums before posting here, but I couldn't find any prices listed anywhere . . .

Cheers for the info guys
Sam

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Hey, you all forgot the sensible option :) VN-VP V8/ V6 FE2 brakes are WAAAAY better than the stock ones, cheap as. Everyone should have a set

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
hmm good point - I take it you have a set, greenfoam . . . what are they like? Are there any complications with them, do they have a habit of squealing alot, and what kind of prices are we looking at?

Also, how does the rotor size compare with VT, and/or with standard V6? (I checked out redbook.com.au but they don't have rotor sizes listed . . .)