Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brand new SSV Redline ticking at Idle

SARRAS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 Commodore SSV Redline 6MT
Just picked up the new baby today - she's a late 2014 build manual demonstrator which arrived with 88 klms on the odometer. Picked her up on the way to work and tonight went for a 30 klms 'glad to get to know you' spin. Everything seems wonderful but there is a persistent ticking at idle. I'm way out of touch with American style v8s, the trade in was an RX-8 and before that a Japanese v6, so I'm just wondering if this is usual behaviour on a new engine of this type. It sounds like the old Holden 308s used to sound when they had a stuck lifter, but perhaps a bit softer. At the moment I'm putting it down to it being a new engine and a LOT of sitting around doing nothing waiting to be sold... Anyone have a comment?

Why?

Reaction score
Members Ride
Harrop enhanced VF Redline Manual
With the car idling and the bonnet up put a small amount of water on the belts using a hose and see if it disappears. Chances are its just the belts.

christov

RFFN RFFR
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, BMW M4 Coupe, Harley V-Rod
They're noisey engines mate, mine did the same thing. It got louder after changing extractors, I believe it's just valve train noise.

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES 2 MY11 SSV A6 in IVY GREEN
Between the piston slap and general noisy valve train my engine sounds like its going fall apart most the time. Still goes hard though :)

christov

RFFN RFFR
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, BMW M4 Coupe, Harley V-Rod
Between the piston slap and general noisy valve train my engine sounds like its going fall apart most the time. Still goes hard though :)

L77 in a nutshell

RedLineMike

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SSV Redline
get a OTR and a exhaust, this should hide some of the noise,give it some abuse and enjoy it mate!!

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Hmmm ... maybe it's because it's not run-in yet & has only ~600km on the clock, but our MY14 L77 is really quiet; if you're in it & the radio's on you have to check the dials to know it's running, from the outside if I'm still lying in bed in our room above the garage & my wife's leaving then I can only tell she's leaving 'cos I hear the garage door opening.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
If you want to risk it , take it for it for a long drive as its a new car with very few Ks on it , I'd say it's because of the low mileage

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Get a very long screwdriver out and place it on various places on the engine.......Ear on/in the handle and listen where it's coming from.
Then you can tell the service manager when it goes in and how clever you are.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Get a very long screwdriver out and place it on various places on the engine.......Ear on/in the handle and listen where it's coming from.
Then you can tell the service manager when it goes in and how clever you are.
Or ... then because you've got some proof there's actually something going-on, there's a bit less chance they'll do nothing about it & hope they can keep fobbing you off 'til after warranty runs-out 'cos they don't really know what's going on ... ?