Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Break upgrade legality

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cava454

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS, VZ SS
Look at the end of the day the insurance company would need to prove that the aftermarket brakes were a contributing factor to any accident you maybe claiming on.
I'm with Just Car and I have listed the brakes and they don't have a problem with that.
As long as you don't put smaller than standard brakes on your car and you do it properly, you'll be fine. I just ordered a new set of pads for the AP Racing brakes I installed nearly 10 years ago. Not bad for one set of pads?

Love to see you argue that one with them....

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
I've had my car walked around and scrutinised by an officer, who appeared to stare intently at my intercooler, then commented on the superb condition of the car and reminisced when he drove early Commodores.

Wow. My pig of an S14 is half blue with mismatched body panels, stretched tyres, really loud exhaust, and quite clearly has the rear bar cable tied on. I've been pulled over and gone through RBTs a number of times all over Canberra and not one of them has mentioned anything about my car. Might have been my good attitude though.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
In NSW it comes under Mod 6 and Mod 12 on page 5 of the Brake Assessment Manual. Everywhere else (including Victoria) carry the same NCOP warning regarding ABS, suspension and ESC discussed here http://www.aaaa.com.au/data/Modifier Beware.pdf
So if you are not registered in the Premier State... Section 1.2 on page 5 of The National Code of Practice states fitting disc brakes that are not a manufacturer's option requires LG Code certification, then Section 4.1 on page 11:

MODIFICATIONS WITHOUT CERTIFICATION
Fitting disc brakes where the replacement system was originally available as an option for the vehicle model

Otherwise it is clear under Section 1.2 which refers to "LG Brakes" on page 20 that classes the modification as a non-original option and is in fact "Fitting a substitute disc brake assembly" and requires approval.

mate youre making this harder than it needs to be. this is copied from your own link:
Changes that do not require assessing or certification
The following are not considered to be modifications and do NOT require assessing or certification:
1. Replacement of parts or components by identical or equivalent parts or components.
2. Replacement of parts or components with equivalent functional performance.
3. Optional parts or components as prescribed by the vehicle’s manufacturer.

what dont you understand about that?

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Nothing, all good, I don't care either way... my point was in NSW it is quite specific whereas elsewhere it appears there is sufficient confusion over a technicality - being the descriptive wording in the NCOP.
Specifically (as per the OP's original thread topic) it can and will be argued by a certified professional engineer in his State / Territory, that the 08 VE SS never had the option of those 2010+ (MY11) upgraded brake parts available to the newer model and series, i.e. The four piston calipers and larger rotors and wheels are neither identical or equivalent (factory) replacement to that model and series nor were they originally available as an option.

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
Love to see you argue that one with them....

Pretty much every car on the road could be defected if you went over it thoroughly enough. If insurance companies were ####s like you make them out to be, they would go out of their way to try and void almost every claim. This has not been my experience.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
Nothing, all good, I don't care either way... my point was in NSW it is quite specific whereas elsewhere it appears there is sufficient confusion over a technicality - being the descriptive wording in the NCOP.
Specifically (as per the OP's original thread topic) it can and will be argued by a certified professional engineer in his State / Territory, that the 08 VE SS never had the option of those 2010+ (MY11) upgraded brake parts available to the newer model and series, i.e. The four piston calipers and larger rotors and wheels are neither identical or equivalent (factory) replacement to that model and series nor were they originally available as an option.

MY is irrelevant. "model" is VE, and that covers all VE's from start to finish. the "breaks" were released by holden for the VE model commodore, and they require no modification to fit, thus they need no certification under VSB, or whatever other state regulation.

this can only be argued by one individual and perhaps a wall or a mirror.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Pretty much every car on the road could be defected if you went over it thoroughly enough. If insurance companies were ####s like you make them out to be, they would go out of their way to try and void almost every claim. This has not been my experience.

True, Just Car are exceptional in my experience also.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
So all those SS commodores, statesmans, calias and berlinas running around out there with the HSV build plate need engineering????

When did I say that? Retro fitting a HSV brake option to a Commodore can be technically illegal because technically, a HSV is not a Commodore. It comes out of a different factory. Any car that has the HSV build plate has been done by HSV, not Joe Blow in his carport.

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
Jeez, 5 pages of utter confusion. So many experts with so little knowledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.