Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Break upgrade legality

Status
Not open for further replies.

TAS1981

Reaction score
Jeez, 5 pages of utter confusion. So many experts with so little knowledge.

I agree. If there were legal precedent then perhaps we would have a direct answer but as usual this stuff is poorly written and relatively open to interpretation.

I think this would only ever be an issue if brakes were added to a car and an accident report concluded that the brakes were in adequate or unsuitable for the vehicle they were attached to and therefore caused the accident...that's just a guess though...if you had an accident and it was nothing to do with braking performance then I don't think an insurance company would be able to invalidate a claim on that basis.

For me and the documentation above I would be reasonably comfortable to have HSV/Redline brakes added to my VE SSV. Others might not be.

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
When did I say that? Retro fitting a HSV brake option to a Commodore can be technically illegal because technically, a HSV is not a Commodore. It comes out of a different factory. Any car that has the HSV build plate has been done by HSV, not Joe Blow in his carport.

What's the difference if it was fitted by HSV, Joe Blow or any other halfwit mechanic?
There is no stipulation in the rules and regulations that HSV parts MUST be fitted by HSV exclusively?

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
I think the rules and regulations are quite clear, anyone can upgrade their cars with bolt on parts from another same type of car without engineering (as that has already been done by Holden).

if you had an accident and it was nothing to do with braking performance then I don't think an insurance company would be able to invalidate a claim on that basis.

If your insurer has found that you have modified your car Illegally then your insurance policy will be void, whether the modification led to the accident or not.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Basically you are asking someone if he thinks you should give him $500.
Technically he's right, but if it's std brembo front only as per Redline then you should be fine as long as you don't drive like they wanna pinch you for something.
What's the difference between yours and a Redline anyway? Call it a Redline, like I did. If your sportwagon is before MY12.5 then is only the front brakes, compliance plate does differentiate on suspension.
de9y3yse.jpg

4WD spec! Do you even need a hoist to walk under that thing to do an oil change????

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Guys you can't beat Holden's own race track honed hero!!
Got the Wheels feature edition in the post today.

ba7a4aze.jpg

Wheels; said:
Hi-rise FE2 suspension makes for easy keelhauling... city slickers beware!

Last edited:

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
What's the difference if it was fitted by HSV, Joe Blow or any other halfwit mechanic?
There is no stipulation in the rules and regulations that HSV parts MUST be fitted by HSV exclusively?

This is the difference.

I think the rules and regulations are quite clear, anyone can upgrade their cars with bolt on parts from another same type of car without engineering (as that has already been done by Holden).

As stated HSV upgrades are treated the same as factory options, BUT technically, HSV is not actually the Holden factory, so anything that is offered on a HSV can not be fitted to a Commodore as it wasn't a "factory" option. This is my point. It is a wording technicality, "factory option" is the key point. HSV is not the Holden factory.

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
I think you are getting hung up on semantics, HSV and their parts had Holden part numbers and were sold thru Holden dealers.
Ex, you went to a Holden dealer, ordered a Commodore VNSS with HSV options. A Commodore with HSV parts registered as a Commodore.

Anything available on a road going car can be used on same model cars, as I said, that had been already established by the cars passing ADR's and being registered.

Status
Not open for further replies.