Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Breaking steering lock

waedwe

Reaction score
Hi all, the steering has locked on my vx for the 2nd time in the ignition barrel, and unlike when it did so yesterday, no amount of wriggling of the wheel turning of key or bashing helps.
My question is, if i do the old jam a screwdriver through the barrel to break the lock, will it still recognise my key and turn over afterwards, or will it no longer recognise the key and not allow the engine to start.
I will need a new barrel if i do this, but seems i will anyway

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
If you damage the barrel you will have great difficulty removing the barrel to replace it because the key needs to be in the ON position to remove the barrel. In my opinion you will damage the barrel and you won't be able to get the key in it anyway.

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
you can snap the steering lock by getting you and a few mates to hang off the steering wheel, giving it a good yank downwards

BerlinaBen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina S2 V6 + VZ Acclaim Wagon
I think the first thing i would be doing is spraying an aerosol cleaning solvent into the barrell, so it is completely flooded, hopefully flushing out anything that may be in there, followed by a good qualilty lubricant. Jaycar sell some good electronic cleaning solvents and lubes. Oh yeah, probly best to disconnect the battery first!
Surely its got to be a case of a pin just not moving freely? Sounds like a better option than brute force to me.

Hey, maybe Locksmiff would know what to do is he reads this post?

waedwe

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, i havent resorted to smashing the barrel yet luckilly.
If i was to snap the pins by forcing the wheel, would the barrel then turn so the car can be started by my key?

waedwe

Reaction score
Well finality, i got a old club lock from the garage, clamped it on, and stamped down with all my force, i seem to have snapped 1 of the steering lock pins. now i can move the wheel enough that i can get the key turning and start the car. and the steering also locks

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
Hi all, the steering has locked on my vx for the 2nd time in the ignition barrel, and unlike when it did so yesterday, no amount of wriggling of the wheel turning of key or bashing helps.
moral of the story you should have fixed it yesterday

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
pain in butt way to avoid this is to pull the steering wheel off, remove combination switches then clean and lubricate the steering lock pin and housing with the correct grease. it is possible to buy spray grease which makes the job a little bit easier. Should be done every 2 years or so but nobody I know does it.