Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Breaklights not working

Vp stocko

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp series 1
Hey i recently put a single bulb where a double was meant to be not realising. Then everytime i put the brakes on the parkers would come on, now they dont work at all.. What could be the problem.. Ive checked the fuses and all are ok..

Coast_Calais

sick of the idiots here
Reaction score
Members Ride
varies
ummm, what? what bulb did you use?

ba15d are your parker/brake lights, but have offset posts, so what did you manage to fit in there?

are you sure you didn't burn a fuse?

Vp stocko

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp series 1
Checked all the fusses and they are fine.. I put a bulb used for the parkers in to where the breaklights are, and since then it just stopped working.. The dashlights would light up everytime i put the breaks on.. And then it just stopped after that..

Coast_Calais

sick of the idiots here
Reaction score
Members Ride
varies
Checked all the fusses and they are fine.. I put a bulb used for the parkers in to where the breaklights are, and since then it just stopped working.. The dashlights would light up everytime i put the breaks on.. And then it just stopped after that..

So you managed to wedge a ba15s (single post) in there!!?!?!?!!
lol
Well, it would've bridged the Parker and brake contact, and thus would have lit all your Parkersburg through the brake wiring across the bridged contact.
Start looking for melted wiring...

Vp stocko

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp series 1
Where do i start lookin for the wires, all boot wires are fine

Vp stocko

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp series 1
Where do i start lookin for the wires, all boot wires are fine

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
So you managed to wedge a ba15s (single post) in there!!?!?!?!!
lol
Well, it would've bridged the Parker and brake contact, and thus would have lit all your Parkersburg through the brake wiring across the bridged contact.
Start looking for melted wiring...

Hmm i dont think that would cause melted wiring.

You need a multimeter or test light,

Starting at the rear of the car>

Are you getting power to the globeholders?

Are you getting power to the brake switch?

are you getting power to the fuse?

These will help you to identify where the problem lies, otherwise your flying blind

Warranty Void

Take it apart? Me? No!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina LX V8
Your tail light looms are most likely the problem, you can get them from rare spares for about $20-$30 each. There's a particular connector that corrodes where the wire joins the metal frame in one of the plugs, it's hard to get at and repair, most looms from the wreckers will have this fault already. It leads to no earth and back feeding of current which means the wrong light lights up and confuses the crap out of you. If you are real keen get a multimeter, pull the looms and track down which connectors are at fault, drill the plastic bulb holder to get at the connection and repair it by soldering the lead onto the metal frame.

Coast_Calais

sick of the idiots here
Reaction score
Members Ride
varies
Hmm i dont think that would cause melted wiring.

You need a multimeter or test light,

Starting at the rear of the car>

Are you getting power to the globeholders?

Are you getting power to the brake switch?

are you getting power to the fuse?

These will help you to identify where the problem lies, otherwise your flying blind

Powering all brake lights, plus ALL Parker lights (including instrument cluster) through one or two bridges contacts? There's a good chance something got hot..

2*brake @ 20w each (not including eye level if fitted)
4*Parkers (2 red 2 clear) @ 5w each
2*rego light @ 5w each
6*instrument (minimum, probably more) lights @ 5w each
Total draw of 100w or more (9 amps easy)

Anyways, yes I agree it could be a number of other things, but I'm thinking what those bridged contacts may have done...

Coast_Calais

sick of the idiots here
Reaction score
Members Ride
varies
Your tail light looms are most likely the problem, you can get them from rare spares for about $20-$30 each. There's a particular connector that corrodes where the wire joins the metal frame in one of the plugs, it's hard to get at and repair, most looms from the wreckers will have this fault already. It leads to no earth and back feeding of current which means the wrong light lights up and confuses the crap out of you. If you are real keen get a multimeter, pull the looms and track down which connectors are at fault, drill the plastic bulb holder to get at the connection and repair it by soldering the lead onto the metal frame.

A valid and likely suggestion, had to repair my original VN loom.. Age does those looms no favors...