Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brembo Caliper Clear Coat Peeling

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
Hi all,
The clear coat on my VFII Redline (left hand side only) calipers is peeling. Holden in their wisdom believe this to be fair wear and tear given the heat cycles the calipers go through. I called BS on this as it should be both fronts failing then, not one front and one rear. Anyway, warranty denied. Oh, the car has 67,000km.
I am looking for some advice, to understand if I can use a pressure pack clear coat to spray over these degraded sections to seal them up. Would this be acceptable or would it just create a seam between the existing clear and new clear?
Appreciate any feedback.
Rear
F9D6BE4B-9498-4032-9B54-5350162E8D44.jpeg

Front
FD33F2A0-D115-4320-B590-9E502E60B26F.jpeg

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Same has happened to my Brembos.

Applying clear will leave you with a seam as you call it. Only true fix would be to remove them, strip and repaint in full and apply new stickers.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
The R/H Brembo on my VE had the same problem.
I think it started from a stone chip.

Utel67

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs s3 ute
Get them sand blasted then powder coated them much better than painting them.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Hi all,
The clear coat on my VFII Redline (left hand side only) calipers is peeling. Holden in their wisdom believe this to be fair wear and tear given the heat cycles the calipers go through. I called BS on this as it should be both fronts failing then, not one front and one rear. Anyway, warranty denied. Oh, the car has 67,000km.
I am looking for some advice, to understand if I can use a pressure pack clear coat to spray over these degraded sections to seal them up. Would this be acceptable or would it just create a seam between the existing clear and new clear?
Appreciate any feedback.
The calipers on the other side may delaminate soon enough :oops:

It’s unacceptable for the clear coat to delaminate from the base colour.
Such wouldn’t be acceptable on painted body panels and for the same reason isn’t acceptable on calipers. As such it can only be defined as a defect. It’s possible due to incorrect composition of the paint but who cares the reason. If paint wasn’t a good choice for the manufacturer, the should have coated with something else.

So go back to the selling dealer and get him to fix both sides under your ACL statutory warranty.

Read Full refund for new Jeep delivered with pain scratches to understand how one judge felt about scratches on paint and the dealer’s solution to buff them out after the owner paid for paint protection... May give you some ammunition to use against the selling dealer and Holden ;)

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
The calipers on the other side may delaminate soon enough :oops:

It’s unacceptable for the clear coat to delaminate from the base colour.
Such wouldn’t be acceptable on painted body panels and for the same reason isn’t acceptable on calipers. As such it can only be defined as a defect. It’s possible due to incorrect composition of the paint but who cares the reason. If paint wasn’t a good choice for the manufacturer, the should have coated with something else.

So go back to the selling dealer and get him to fix both sides under your ACL statutory warranty.

Read Full refund for new Jeep delivered with pain scratches to understand how one judge felt about scratches on paint and the dealer’s solution to buff them out after the owner paid for paint protection... May give you some ammunition to use against the selling dealer and Holden ;)
Definitely follow this up , 'clear' peeling off brakes is BS , they know they should use heat tolerant paint , they know this is a heated environment and should be coated appropriately .

Get them sand blasted then powder coated them much better than painting them.
This is the way to go and might give you the chance to personalise your brakes . I managed to get mine done green for $50 a corner but I had to do a bit of cleaning of over spray out of the bores and around the dust cover collar recesses , but for that price I was happy to do it
Green Brembo 6 and 4 pot calipers.jpg

Last edited:

Utel67

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs s3 ute
Definitely follow this up , 'clear' peeling off brakes is BS , they know they should use heat tolerant paint , they know this is a heated environment and should be coated appropriately .

This is the way to go and might give you the chance to personalise your brakes . I managed to get mine done green for $50 a corner but I had to do a bit of cleaning of over spray out of the bores and around the dust cover collar recesses , but for that price I was happy to do it
View attachment 208759

Definitely worth doing for a finish like that very nice :)

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
Thanks for the input guys, I had the wheels off today for some detailing, and on closer inspection of the right hand side calipers, each one has a section no bigger than 5x5mm that is also delaminating.
I agree with @Skylarking, it’s not good enough and I probably could Perdue it under the ACL, but honestly, I don’t have the energy to do that. I think I will just make my plans and have them powder coated down the track.
@kleanphil, are your green calipers powder coated?
@Utel67, thanks for the powder coating tip, I didn’t realise that it was better than having them painted.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
@dgp yes it can be an effort to go to a tribunal but do talk to the selling dealer first, if you can muster a little effort. They may cave to your ACL rights so it may be time well spent.

Supposedly, if you track your car then powder coating isn’t recommended by some as temps can exceed 315C (600F) which can melt some powders (and boil your brake fluid) :eek: Some powder can withstand 600C (1100F) so you’ve got to ask what you’re getting for your money when you powder coat ;)

What does this mean for the silver Motorsport brake calipers which are supposedly certified to meet GM track level 3.... or is it just marketing babble and thus false advertising? Will the Motorsport caliper coating survive a hard track day?

Last edited:

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
@dgp yes they are powder coated , they were done a couple of years ago and no sign of issues with normal driving