Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brembo Genuine Pads?

Thorby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Black Edition Wagon
Evening All,

Hope you are all safe and well and family is all good. Quick question as most of you know I have just done the Brembo upgrade with brakes from a Stat. My question is how do I identify if the pads that came with my purchase are genuine pads? It has been confirmed that they are almost new, but there is no part number or any markings on the back of the pads. The reason I ask is the new Remsas I initially installed I am not happy with, so am thinking about putting the pads back in that came off the stat with the discs and see if they make any difference. I am sure there may not be an answer to this question, but the only stupid question is the one you don't ask.

Cheers
Thorby

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Thank you kind sir, based on the supplied photographic evidence the jury suggest my used pads are non genuine. Shall do a photo shoot this arvo and share.
I believe the earlier Holden pads for their Brembo brakes didn’t have counterweights include on the pad tops. Such counterweights were added later to reduce undesirable pad squeaks and squeal. So your pads may still be “original” but may just be old superseded stock :oops:

But who knows whether they are going to actually squeak or squeal, or whether they are really “original”. Originality depends on which business they were bought from and the businesses supply lines. eBay is full of counterfeit stuff... or genuine stuff that failed QC/QA... or genuine stuff that was over manufactured by some subcontractor in China... who really knows wha5 the truth is these days with so much “fake news” :eek:

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
I believe the earlier Holden pads for their Brembo brakes didn’t have counterweights include on the pad tops. Such counterweights were added later to reduce undesirable pad squeaks and squeal. So your pads may still be “original” but may just be old superseded stock :oops:

But who knows whether they are going to actually squeak or squeal, or whether they are really “original”. Originality depends on which business they were bought from and the businesses supply lines. eBay is full of counterfeit stuff... or genuine stuff that failed QC/QA... or genuine stuff that was over manufactured by some subcontractor in China... who really knows wha5 the truth is these days with so much “fake news” :eek:
With our without weights, Brembo pads always have details stamped/printed on the back.
More likely they are aftermarket pads. I think oem for VF SS always had weights on them...

Thorby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Black Edition Wagon
With our without weights, Brembo pads always have details stamped/printed on the back.
More likely they are aftermarket pads. I think oem for VF SS always had weights on them...
Stop it I am NOT leaving work to go have a look at them I promise, will upload some pics later you have me curious.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Stop it I am NOT leaving work to go have a look at them I promise, will upload some pics later you have me curious.
C’mon, ya know you wanna :p

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I believe the earlier Holden pads for their Brembo brakes didn’t have counterweights include on the pad tops.

Depends on the definition of "earlier" but my VE II (Sept 12 build) Brembo pads have counterweights.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Depends on the definition of "earlier" but my VE II (Sept 12 build) Brembo pads have counterweights.
Yeah, maybe i'm remembering wrong.
There was a Technical service bulletin on brake squeal for Chevy SS which listed revised shims on brembo pads which are shown with no counterweights but I must have confused front pads with counterweights with the rear pads discussed in this TSB.

As is, i have seen some brembo front pads without counterweights so i guess it depends on what the definition of genuine is, be it genuine holden or genuine brembo. Interestingly the Brembo catalog for VE 07/06 -05/13 show their recommended pads don't have counterweights. Oddly the catalog doesn't list VF :eek:

I'll go back in my coprner now :p