Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

BREMBO PROBLEMS - CONSIDERING LEGAL ACTION

vombil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 UTE
Hi guys
I've had issues with the brembos on my VF2 SSV redline since purchased over a year ago. Initially the rotors were scoring (grooves.cuts in the faces) so Holden replaced 2 and machined 1. I've had untold drama with squeeling in reverse low speed braking (obviously). Since around 7000 kms I've had brake shudder. They (Holden customer care) agreed to pay for a skim to fronts even though I repeatedly asked for nee rotors, not skimmed out **** with no life left in them now. So, I've traveled 1500 kms to and from work barely cracking 60kmph and there is shudder back in the front rotors. Dealer has driven the car and confirmed this. Problem is Customer care have bowed out. The dealer has also said 'go away'. Under consumer law the vehicle needs to be 'as described', 'free of defect', match the item advertised and be 'fit for purpose'.

I spent a **** load of money on this rig and i'll be honest, I'm pretty filthy with the handling of a claim for MAX $1000 pair of rotors. I'm considering summonsing the dealer (always the place of purchase that ultimately has the burden of warranting the car sold) under a Consumer Trader claim in Perth Magistrates court. Yes, I have much better things to do with my time and I know I'll end up being worse off considering time and energy invested in the various appearances but I'm quite principled with stuff like this. I'm sick of them passing the buck.

Race brakes that can't handle being driven in the city, where all passenger vehicles with street rego get driven... pretty weak.

Has anyone had success suing a dealership? thanks

arronm

Reaction score
Members Ride
FPV F6 VF Redline WGN
I have a set of stock front brembo discs done 8000 ks and are perfect. You can have them. I put DBA T3 on when I upgraded the rears

You won't win against Holden.

Adza75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline
I feel sorry for you having to go through all this, however nearly 35,000km on my VF2 Redline and the only issue that's come up with my Brembos in the squeal in reverse, which is a known issue. No shuddering, scoring or anything wrong with my brakes at all. It doesn't explain your woes however.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
^+1 the problem is obviously incorrect bedding of the pads on the rotors, which is your responsibility, both components are also consumable items. Not that you don't have rights but this is not a common occurrence likely to do with driver operation in some form.
I think the dealer's gesture to attempt to rectify the shudder complaint is about as far as you will get, this is not a known issue unique to the vehicle, rather same could happen with a mountain bike bought from Kmart. The shriek in reverse issue reminds me of a Malvern Star Flying Wedge pushbike I had with disc rears always did that backing up. My point is that bedding in friction material can be problematic, nobody's fault but underlines the importance / lack of of bed-in procedure.
I'd take @arronm up on the offer and have fitted by a brake / suspension expert, get his opinion in writing.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
No idea what your chances are but the issue could be that in city driving the big brakes don't get hot enough to work properly and not glaze over.
If that's the Problem it will come back after you fit new rotors.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
The brakes (callipers) fitted to the Redlines are not what I’d call big brakes or race brakes, more a matter of entry level Brembo.

I’d do what arronm has done and ditch the rotors for a set of DBA’s and look into a new set of pads and bed them in.

You’d be better off and as much as I like to stand up for myself and push dealers when I believe I’m in the right (which is all the time) I’m not that silly to throw away good coin just for a principle when the issue is ambiguous at best and the dollar value of arranging your own fix is minor compared to legal action.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
The calipers are sensational. The rotors and pads, nothing special. I've had exactly the same issues with aftermarket rotors and pads. I relaced the standard rotors and pads (ehich were workin fine) with RDA's and new pads. After a few thousand k's they started to shudder like crazy under hard braking. Also had score marks, which personally doesn't bother me. It's just from a hard particle in the pads. But the shuddering! So, I ditched them for DBA T3 4000 Club Spec. Not a shuddering problem since, (read my other thread rear Brembo upgrade, re squealing). They're about $300 each and worth every $.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
A question for any of you with the Brembo brake upgrade package, Does the vehicle owners manual or any other material supplied with the brake upgrade kit inform the owner of the proper brake bedding in procedure?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I didn't know anything about this need for a proper bedding-in process thing ... being VF, we've only got Brembos at the front, but I've noticed it's been a bit pulsey at really low speeds of late (has nearly 15k kms on it).

If you've stuffed the bedding-in process, have you stuffed your rotors or just your pads?

Back to the original topic; I wouldn't expect something is mass-market as a Holden-badged Commodore to need a special bedding-in process, which is undocumented in the user-guide, to get the car to operate in the way it's supposed to operate. That sounds like a complete cop-out. I'm not talking about our car, our use is probably a little unusual (3yo car with 15k kms), but vombil's car.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
I didn't know anything about this need for a proper bedding-in process thing ... being VF, we've only got Brembos at the front, but I've noticed it's been a bit pulsey at really low speeds of late (has nearly 15k kms on it).

If you've stuffed the bedding-in process, have you stuffed your rotors or just your pads?

Back to the original topic; I wouldn't expect something is mass-market as a Holden-badged Commodore to need a special bedding-in process, which is undocumented in the user-guide, to get the car to operate in the way it's supposed to operate. That sounds like a complete cop-out. I'm not talking about our car, our use is probably a little unusual (3yo car with 15k kms), but vombil's car.
Not special, no. Proper, yes. Usually done pre delivery. That's the squealing / squeaking maybe slight pulsing. With resurfacing you can start to lay the pad material film afresh anytime.
The shuddering is because OP's rotors are slightly warped, again. Because driving manner / conditions haven't changed not because discs are prone to warping when driven normally.
These issues and worse will happen without mechanical sympathy, in any car. Point is that it is not the car's fault nor brake calipers nor pads nor rotors.