Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bridgestone or Michellin

Brown Dog

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 Nitrate Manual Redline
Hey, seems PS4 are out of stock for the 275 rears - so I can only get the 4S all round.

What are peoples opinions of the Kumho or other alternative brands ?

struggo

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Redline + 2013 FG MKII G6ET
I'm currently running Michelin
PILOT SPORT 4 S
tyres on my Redline. Tops tyre.

If I was buying now for the Redline, I would probably go the RE003, especially when they are on sale (either 4 for the price of 3 and/of 25% off). Best bang for $$$ I reckon and have them on my Turbo taxi.

My Recent Tyre History

• · RE50A fitted from Factory. A good OEM tyre, harden over time and lost traction.

• · Dunlop SP Sport Maxx fitted to my G6ET from Factory (terrible tyre).

• · Kumho ECSTA PS91 – These performed well on the Redline, however being a summer tyre I found that they would develop a flat spot overnight on the rears and such I would get slight vibrations when cold. It disappeared after a few minutes of driving.

• · Kumho ECSTA KU39 – A good budget tyre, plenty of grip but soft compound/short life @ 25,000km on G6ET.

Last edited:

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Hey, seems PS4 are out of stock for the 275 rears - so I can only get the 4S all round.

What are peoples opinions of the Kumho or other alternative brands ?

I got some Kuhmo's when they were cool - never again.

Spend the extra and just get 4S for rears?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I'm currently running Michelin
PILOT SPORT 4 S
tyres on my Redline. Tops tyre.

If I was buying now for the Redline, I would probably go the RE003, especially when they are on sale (either 4 for the price of 3 and/of 25% off). Best bang for $$$ I reckon and have them on my Turbo taxi.

My Recent Tyre History

• · RE50A fitted from Factory. A good OEM tyre, harden over time and lost traction.

• · Dunlop SP Sport Maxx fitted to my G6ET from Factory (terrible tyre).

• · Kumho ECSTA PS91 – These performed well on the Redline, however being a summer tyre I found that they would develop a flat spot overnight on the rears and such I would get slight vibrations when cold. It disappeared after a few minutes of driving.

• · Kumho ECSTA KU39 – A good budget tyre, plenty of grip but soft compound/short life @ 25,000km on G6ET.

The Kumho PA51 replaced the KU22....The KU39 has a softer compound, hence the shorter tyre life.....The KU39 is replaced with the PS71 and PS91....Both soft compounds and softer than the PA51....

Love how Tempe tyres have it listed that the 235/45X17 and 245/35X20 PA51's are sold out.....Last I looked through the S.A warehouse list for the 17" ones, they had about 200+ of them in stock...The 20" ones they had at least 100....

A little hint....Tempe tyres buy tyres through the manufacturer...They are basically a 3rd party supplier of a heap of different brands....

Last edited:

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
A little hint....Tempe tyres buy tyres through the manufacturer...They are basically a 3rd party supplier of a heap of different brands....
They also grey-import, so the thing sold as "Michelin Pilot Sport 4S" from them isn't necessarily the same product as if you go to, say, Jax.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
They also grey-import, so the thing sold as "Michelin Pilot Sport 4S" from them isn't necessarily the same product as if you go to, say, Jax.

this, Tempe tyres are not the same as the ones that come through local channel.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

They import straight from the factories.....So the product is identical as what you'd get from a tyre store....If you think about it, you are buying this particular brand and model....A tyre brand isn't going to sell a different quality tyre to a different store....Their name will suffer, more than a tyre store

I have actually seen tyres from Tempe's warehouse that are actually newer than from the manufacturers warehouse...

The only issue I have struck with them is, they don't warrant tyres from their warehouse...ie, tyres that have a road hazard warranty aren't honoured by Tempe.....So buying from their warehouse, the business cops it up the butt to help the customer.....It helps them keep costs down.....

Not sure how their tyre stores operate, as there aren't any in S.A....Only a distribution warehouse...

I got offered a job there 2 1/2 years ago....Knocked it back because they underpaid award rates and I didn't like they way they operated....

Last edited:

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
They import straight from the factories.....So the product is identical as what you'd get from a tyre store....
Yes but no, tyre batches are graded. The car manufacturers get the top grade, the first world gets the second grade for retail, the rest of the world gets the lowest grade ‘cos you can’t charge for tyres in Zimbabwe what you can in Australia. Tempe gets the Zimbabwe tyres - straight from the factory.

struggo

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Redline + 2013 FG MKII G6ET
Re Tempe Tyres (Sydney), I've actually never purchased from them as my local Bob Jane matches or betters their listed price.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Yes but no, tyre batches are graded. The car manufacturers get the top grade, the first world gets the second grade for retail, the rest of the world gets the lowest grade ‘cos you can’t charge for tyres in Zimbabwe what you can in Australia. Tempe gets the Zimbabwe tyres - straight from the factory.

I gather you get your information straight from Tempe or a tyre shop?

Tempe sell at a reduced cost by under paying employees and not offering any warranties to the business owners...You would be surprised how many road hazard warranties are processed within a working week through a supplier....And Tempe not covering them, means they can reduce the sale price to the consumer and if a consumer happens to want to claim on that tyre, the business owner coughs up to keep the customer happy...

Their pay rate, going back 2 1/2 years ago, was $2 P/HR under the award rate....On top of that, they didn't pay overtime rates for employees on a normal wage and they expected employees to work a minimum of 1/2 hours over time per day, just out of the goodness of the employees heart....The position I was offered I was expected to work 2 hours O/T per day, with no extra cash in my pocket...Just got paid the 38 hour week wage...

Buying container loads of tyres was done cash up front...I also believe they are interlinked with a church group (the brother hood from memory), which means they are able to avoid tax.....Avoid this also helps reduce the cost of tyres to the consumer.....

So if you wish to believe they are buying the lowest grade tyres that a manufacturer produces, that is your choice....I have just outlined what I know of the company and how they keep the costs down and pass those savings onto the consumer