Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bridging vs park/neutral switch for manual conversion

cruiserbruisa

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs ute, vs ute, vs Calais
Hi fellas, converted auto to manual and hoping that someone can help me with what wires need to be bridged together at the neutral/park switch?

tezza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
Hi there, didnt you say in your other thread that you plugged the loom in and it worked?
Do you still have the original manual ute? If so, pull the short loom out of that and plug it in.

cruiserbruisa

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi Tezza. Na mate I don't have the other ute. It got scrapped. And yes it cranked with the auto neutral park switch But still no start. Also no reverse lights. So if I could find out what the old loom consisted of I could make it. I'm hoping this may solve at least 1 of my issues. Cheers

tezza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
Here's a pic of the loom which bridges the neutral switch.
Looks like its the grey and grey/white wire

IMG_0881Medium.jpg

Shortstuff

Random
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Golf GTI PP
You have to bridge the two grey wires. I did mine yesterday by putting a short length of wire with a male spade connector at each end into the connector for each of the grey wires.

Without this (or the park neutral switch in the correct position) the motor shouldn't crank at all. If it cranks but still won't start then you might have another problem?

hdtkid

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commy
hey i did same thing to my VS about 3 months ago, and the car should not even crank if that wire isnt shorted, if you have the correct computer for your gearbox and motor combo it is simple.
its there are heaps of threds on here with diagrams on how to wire the speedo sensor ect.... remember also if your car has cruis control put a sensor on the clutch so when you change gear it dont flare the engine.

make sure your O2 sensors from both cars are same some are 2 wires some 4, could cause isues. also if using the T5 gearbox the speedo wire needs to be moved on the ECU im not sure if this is the same for the Getrag.

when compleeted my car took ages to get fired the first time probably coz the fule had drained all the way back to the tank leving big air pockets in the fule line. also im running the auto ECU and i dont think it liked that lol. but even on the auto ecu im getting better fule econemy over 500ks per tank running vortex 98(on auto i was lucky to get 400 at best), and now quite easy to get it sideways aswell :p.

after doing this my car with 300,000ks on it was able to hold its own against a VZ V8 SS ute i lost of corse, but my m8 was embarresed to have my old banger only a car lengh behind him at half way on the 1/4 mile after that it wasnt rely a race anymore lol :( not bad for a v6 tho.

1 Commodore $2000
manual gearbox converson with new clutch kit $1150
Limited Slip Diff $400
The smile on My face the first day it rained, PRICELESS :p

pics for wiring here

cruiserbruisa

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks Tezza, shortstuff and hdtkid. Yes hdtkid I am running the t5. What wire did u have to change at the ecu? Was this different for the auto and manual ecu? My fuel pump won't run either. When I bridge the relay it comes on. I bridged it and tried starting it and still no luck. Lots of great infomation fellas.

hdtkid

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commy
can you give us a bit more detail....

when you did the conversion how did you go about it.... did you remove gearbox with engine in one pice or did you just take the box out from under the car
(trying to rule out bad connectors at the engine it self)

what wiring harness and ecu are you trying to use atm.
in my car i left it alone, and it dose start and run fairly well. if the ECU from the other car is a 4wire oxy sensor and your is 2wire or vice versa it wont help (but i doubt would stop the car from starting)

the starter motor:
did you put in the delco remy starter, not the bosch one. also check the trigger wire didnt get broken near the starter motor. can happen to easy

relays: check mix around and replace if needs be (eg: try the horn relay in fule pump)

did you do it all yourself or did friends help, anythign your friends did check!!! it its not their car maybe they didnt care as much as you would like them to.

the wiring i did was all speedo related, worry about that once you get it fired up.... if you have a circut tester or multimeter,put all your auto ecu ect.. back in..... get someone to try crank the car, get under it and see where the lack of voltage is.... there may be 0volts at the starter (broken wire faulty relay who knows)

but the kill switch is verry verry simple just join the 2 wire and it will crank, on that connector with 4pins 2 are the kill sw, other 2 are reverse lights, smaller 3wire connector show in other pic is the PWR/ECON sw no need to worry about that one, you dont need the blue wire show in the above picture (not to make it start and run anyhow)

keep in touch let us knwo if anyof this helps you out

pcrabbit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 Statesman + T5
thanks tezza
i joined those 2 grey wires together worked great, i had the same problem with my t5 conversion in a vs but the people who did mine ran a wire from the negative battery terminal into the big black start fuse above the battery ??? still worked but dodgy !!! now i just need to find a vs t5 engine harness because they fogot to fit that too and have scrapped the donor car [d##kh##ds] anyway cheers mate

dityz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr v8
Hey guys so the grey and grey white wire are on the loom to the gearbox I am looking for to bridge or on the computer