Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brightening the LCDs

1trkmnd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN s s2 and MY12 sv6 ute
Does anyone out there know of a way to brighten up the LCD screens on the 3 window cluster on a VN, My lcds are free from bleeds and are clean, just seems the Backlighting in them needs a boost, there pretty hard to read.

bandit0014

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN Commodore Wagon
Hi we had a vn come into work a couple of weeks ago with the same problem removed the cluster from the car & found the lighting for the lcd,s was external & updated the globes with brighter globes & fixed the problem but sometimes the globes are internal so if yours is you will have to take it either to an auto elec or some one that repairs dashes

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
Hi we had a vn come into work a couple of weeks ago with the same problem removed the cluster from the car & found the lighting for the lcd,s was external & updated the globes with brighter globes & fixed the problem but sometimes the globes are internal so if yours is you will have to take it either to an auto elec or some one that repairs dashes

No VN-VS Calais trip computer lcd cluster screen lighting is external. All internal.

Cheers
MaT

timmy_tam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN calais 91
not hard dude
its just a simple case of taking it all apart
(c'mon, as kids, didnt' we all take stuff apart?) :D

the hardest part is replacing the bulbs
i don't know if they stock the bulbs and the holders anywhere....

1trkmnd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN s s2 and MY12 sv6 ute
I have taken it apart, just wondering if anyone has done this, it would suck putting it all back in the find that new bulbs made no difference. the bulbs in it are old but are working well, just not sure what other options are out there (LED,s etc).

mischf

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive S2
You can use a capacitor to boost the voltage, bit hard to explain without the dash though. LEDs will definately be brighter, as they are designed to run on about 2V instead of 12V so you'll need a resistor before them to lower the voltage so they dont melt.

1trkmnd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN s s2 and MY12 sv6 ute
so id have to solder the resistor to the led and then solder that to the globe holder. Sounds like a good idea. thanks mate give me something to do on my day off. lucky jaycars only 2 mins walk away.

timmy_tam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN calais 91
post up some picts for those who are less intelligent than you :D

i wouldn't knwo where to solder a resiter to :p