Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bringing the calais back to life

kingj133

The King
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN calais, Dead VK Calais
Ive been lurking around these forums for a while now mostly just reading ur posts and finding out stuff i need to know but now the time has come when i need to ask for some help from you guys. So heres the story, i have got a beautiful VK calais with a dead blue 202 efi engine. :rip: And b4 u ask yes it is a blue engine out of a VH with the vk efi gear. And i also have a VH sl/e with a 308 which i was eventually gona start fixing up. But now that the VK Engine has died i have decided to transplant the 308 into that. Now as far as i know this should be pretty straightforward since i the vh is complete so i have all the running gear. The only things im worried about is the digital dash and the polution gear. For the dash i know ill need to get one from a 5 litre Calais, but is it gona b much trouble getting the trip computer to work with the blue 308??? And what do i need to do polution wise to make sure i dont have trouble with the EPA? Any help would b appreciated.

Also i am selling all the stuff i dont need from the SL/E and the injection gear from the VK so if anyone needs any parts let me know.

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
For the emission control you'll need the charcoal canister connected, a proper manifold with EGR valve and a carburettor made for the motor like the Quadrajet with emission control. Not the early models. The carb hoses are connected to the manifold. You need TVS switches and vacuum hoses connectors for the manifold.

For the trip computer you'll need the fuel flow sensor connected to the front of the motor above the water pump and the wiring with it. Any VK dash would work fine. You don't need the digital dash. It is a matter of transporting the lot over.

The 308 in the VH should have all the necessary emission control gear already on it.

kingj133

The King
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN calais, Dead VK Calais
For the emission control you'll need the charcoal canister connected, a proper manifold with EGR valve and a carburettor made for the motor like the Quadrajet with emission control. Not the early models. The carb hoses are connected to the manifold. You need TVS switches and vacuum hoses connectors for the manifold.

For the trip computer you'll need the fuel flow sensor connected to the front of the motor above the water pump and the wiring with it. Any VK dash would work fine. You don't need the digital dash. It is a matter of transporting the lot over.

The 308 in the VH should have all the necessary emission control gear already on it.

Thanks for the reply slim, just a few questions tho, since the VH had the trip computer in it the fuel flow sensor should already be there right? The car is at my parents place at the moment so i cant see for myself lol. And is the emission control gear the same on the VH and VK 308?

And as for the dash, im planning on using a digital one coz its what the calais had. Is there any difference between the 6 cylinder and the V8 dashes??

Last edited:

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
Thanks for the reply slim, just a few questions tho, since the VH had the trip computer in it the fuel flow sensor should already be there right? The car is at my parents place at the moment so i cant see for myself lol. And is the emission control gear the same on the VH and VK 308?

The emmision control gear should be very similar from the VB to VK. My manuals have varying details, but I could send you all the emission control crap for the VK. Just PM me. There would be a few pages worth.
The fuel flow sensor should be the same. Not sure. As I only have experience with my VK, I'd need to dig out my manuals and look. I will look at them tomorrow for you unless someone else replys with other info.

And as for the dash, im planning on using a digital one coz its what the calais had. Is there any difference between the 6 cylinder and the V8 dashes??

The dashes would be the same. I am sure all VK Calais models came with the digital dash, I could be wrong.

The dash connections consist of the fuel flow sensor for the trip computer, transducer cylinder (connected to the cruise control module) for the speedometer, manifold thermistor for the temp guage and then the fuel guage. The fuel is controlled by an electric fuel pump.
There is also the oil pressure switch connected it it, there is also a coolant level sensor connected on the radiator to beep for low coolant.

dawall

Reaction score
Members Ride
vh
are you selling parts off the vh? hey what colour is the interior as well as the actual car(for panels etc)? and do you have any centre caps (the pentagon shaped ones) for the sle rims? pics would help but no big rush..

dawall

Reaction score
Members Ride
vh
where you located too mate?