Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brock motor options

Bulldognz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Blue meanie replica
Morning all, I have a VL brock commodore and thinking about shelving the engine for safe keeping and putting something else in so I can have a bit more performance. My thoughts were originally finding another 304 black engine and then I thought perhaps a VN motor with carby conversion might just slot in.

Looking for advice for the easiest / non collectable impacting engine swaps please. Am I on the right track with vn motor? Will the gearbox simply bolt up or am I up for a bit more new drive shaft / box etc?

Thanks in advance. I'm only toying with this idea at present as I'm about to rebuild the brock motor anyway as I think it's run a cam lobe.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
budget 355 stroker like scat kit with mild cam into original engine if it needs rebuild.....more grunt,mild manners & looks exactly the same.

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
Morning all, I have a VL brock commodore and thinking about shelving the engine for safe keeping and putting something else in so I can have a bit more performance. My thoughts were originally finding another 304 black engine and then I thought perhaps a VN motor with carby conversion might just slot in.

Looking for advice for the easiest / non collectable impacting engine swaps please. Am I on the right track with vn motor? Will the gearbox simply bolt up or am I up for a bit more new drive shaft / box etc?

Thanks in advance. I'm only toying with this idea at present as I'm about to rebuild the brock motor anyway as I think it's run a cam lobe.
VN idea no issues but why bother with all that work and double handling, plus any vn motor will have high mileage and wear and likely in need of a rebuild as well.

Rebuild your engine to 355 and save yourself more work and expense

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
.. you need another VL black V8 (or earlier blue or black V8 like VH or VK)

VN and later motors will NOT bolt up... sorry. Why?
WRONG engine bolt pattern. VL is Tri, VN EFI on is Turbo

and an adaptor is a BAD idea

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
.. you need another VL black V8 (or earlier blue or black V8 like VH or VK)

VN and later motors will NOT bolt up... sorry. Why?
WRONG engine bolt pattern. VL is Tri, VN EFI on is Turbo

and an adaptor is a BAD idea

Have you ever re-drilled and tapped the top 2 bolt holes (I think they're the ones that don't line up with the trimatics, when going turbo block)......If so have you had any issues?

Just throwing ideas out there....Nothing more :)

I also think all the carb manifolds to suit the VN style engines place the carb above the bonnet line....Not 100% sure with that though

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
Have you ever re-drilled and tapped the top 2 bolt holes (I think they're the ones that don't line up with the trimatics, when going turbo block)......If so have you had any issues?

its not only the top holes, the side holes and locating pins are in different spots

like in this pic

turboblockrear.jpg
turboblockrear.jpg

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
CRS & few others sell turbo & trimatic pattern bellhousings although think now dual bolt pattern bellhousings are available.

If original engine lasted this long & still living rebuilding it asa mild stroker should last just as long....not like it's going to get crap beaten out of it & remember go too crazy on engine you'll end up breaking driveline,losing originality look of engine bay & most likely not as nice to drive.

Lacksballs

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Members Ride
VK Group C Replica, 1995 VR Sedan
Stick with rebuilding the "Brock" engine, its 35 years old so with the right bits & expertise it will run another 35 years.

The VL Group Bathurst was yet another model available in the VL series and was available with either the 4.9 litre engine or an optional 5.6 litre which copped a 30 thou overbore, heavy duty crank and bearings, oversize pistons along with a Tuftrided camshaft. Cars fiited with the optional 5.6 litre engine were referred to as the ‘Bathurst Stroker’