Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Broken back seatbelts in my

VjamesY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY executive
Hey fellow jc's!

Ive just spotted a problem with my back seatbelts in my vy,
they arnt twisted or anything but really dont sping back into the car seats,
they are easy to pull out but have no real force behind them when you let go.

-is their any way of fixing or do i need to replace seatbelts?
-anything that needs tightening?
-how much does it cost to replace the three?

the previous owner of my car had kids, and i would say they have played around with them or they are just worn out.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Hey fellow jc's!

Ive just spotted a problem with my back seatbelts in my vy,
they arnt twisted or anything but really dont sping back into the car seats,
they are easy to pull out but have no real force behind them when you let go.

-is their any way of fixing or do i need to replace seatbelts?
-anything that needs tightening?
-how much does it cost to replace the three?

the previous owner of my car had kids, and i would say they have played around with them or they are just worn out.

Hi James

Before you spend any money replacing them, try cleaning them thoroughly. I posted detailed info about cleaning the front belts in a VR some months back, so have a look for that. You might be amazed how much dirt and crap you get out of the belts and this really affects their ability to retract correctly.

It's unusual for the rear belts to get this dirty though. The previous owner's kids might have had sticky fingers from lollies or other crap which has adhered to the belts and prevents them from retracting. I'd be willing to bet that's why they don't work as they should, not that their defective or worn out.

If, after cleaning thoroughly, the belts still don't retract properly, then replacement might be the only answer but I would definitely give them a good clean up first.

If you can't find the post, let me know and I'll give you the process again - it's very straightforward.

SAV_117

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V8 Calais
dry lube.......

VjamesY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY executive
Hi James

Before you spend any money replacing them, try cleaning them thoroughly. I posted detailed info about cleaning the front belts in a VR some months back, so have a look for that. You might be amazed how much dirt and crap you get out of the belts and this really affects their ability to retract correctly.

It's unusual for the rear belts to get this dirty though. The previous owner's kids might have had sticky fingers from lollies or other crap which has adhered to the belts and prevents them from retracting. I'd be willing to bet that's why they don't work as they should, not that their defective or worn out.

If, after cleaning thoroughly, the belts still don't retract properly, then replacement might be the only answer but I would definitely give them a good clean up first.

If you can't find the post, let me know and I'll give you the process again - it's very straightforward.

kk thanks for the advice mate ill look for you post, yeh ill give them a thorough clean tomorow.
weird enough im starting to get a feeling i read your post about this ages ago, i remember somebody talking about the dirt build up in seat belts

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
kk thanks for the advice mate ill look for you post, yeh ill give them a thorough clean tomorow.
weird enough im starting to get a feeling i read your post about this ages ago, i remember somebody talking about the dirt build up in seat belts

Look under the search facility for"cleaning seat belts". I found it pretty quickly just now.