Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Broken Bolt

RoboticCherry-Coke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais S1
Ok guys so i feel like a pretty big idiot for doing this, but recently i replaced the rocker cover gaskets due to an oil leak. Checked today and one of the rocker covers was covered in oil still, so i figured maybe the bolts were a little loose. Went through and checked em all, went to tighten one and snapped it off :bang: Anyway anyone got some advice on removing the snapped bolt?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
If it's not snapped off below the head level you could remove the rocker cover and grip whats left of the bolt with pliers or vycegrips...if it's snapped off below the head deck level and you cannot grip it you can buy left hand threaded drills which drill into the broken bolt and unscrew it whilst drilling or use an "easy-out" but if they snap you have a bigger problem. You may also be able to use a centre punch to slowly and gently tap the bolt anti-clockwise.
Others on the forum will have other methods.
Good Luck.

Last edited:

RoboticCherry-Coke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais S1
Just took off the rocker cover and took a closer look, the bolt is to far in to get a hold of it and twist it out. Had a chat to a mate and he had a set of "easy-outs" that i could use but dont really feel confident enough to do it incase i screw things up even more, looks like i am going to have to leave it to the pros, am i going to be alright to drive it like it is only bout 5 - 8 kms to get it into town?

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
easy-outs are simply that, easy! use them and it'll only take 5mins tops!! you wont screw it up, it just kinda drills/taps into the head bolt then you can remove it by undoing it. really really simple and it'll cost you nothing!

if you really need to, yea it'll be fine if you end up taking it to a pro 5-8kms down the road, worst thing thats gonna happen is throw some oil out that section. wont be much thou.

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
weld a nut onto it and then use a rachet easy as using easy outs