Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

broken exhaust studs. :(

un named

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL SL
so took my manifold off today and saw that 4 studs had been broken off about 2 mm below the surface. explains the exhaust leak i have had since i got the car. it was the two far top studs and the first two bottom studs that had snapped it seems that it only leaked from no. 6 since the gasket was black on both sides all others were silver. would my best bet be drilling the studs out and then retapping them or would it be safe to try one of those ezyouts on one of the inner studs to see if they will work?
anyone ramoved these before? never done anything like this before so im a bit nervous on trying this really dont wanna mess it up.

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
Try the ezyout method just don't bust one of those in there because then your shagged as they r high tensile. Being alloy u gotta be careful with the threads.
If you damage it u can use thread savers or take it to a head shop to be done properly.

nasty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2 clubsport
and when your at it do all the studs not just the broken ones..

un named

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL SL
turns out there were 5 broken ones managed to get 3 of them out with the ease. but my drill is to big toget to the far bottem left and drilled it wrong so its very close to the thread could use the easy out to get it to near the surface but thats as far is it will go didnt want to snap the easy out off so i stopped. whats the chances if i left it without a stud will this 100% leave me with an exhaust leak? same thing happend with the far right one but i havnt tryed taking it out yet.

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
You will most likely develope an exhaust leak even using gasket goo. Do it right the first time. Keep at it. Try soaking it over night in a good lubricant (inox/rp7/lanolin spray etc) not that wd40
Overrated crap. Soak it good and keep at it

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
The best way to get them out is with a MIG welder. Weld a nut to the broken stud and then just unscrew it. It won't matter that they are below the surface as the weld won't stick to alloy. Even if the heat melts a bit of the thread, it's alloy, and the new studs will go in about 12-15mm.

un named

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL SL
been using wd40 maybe ill get something better tomorrow if i dont have any luck. would it be a bad idea to drill a slighty smaller hole across from the one i stuffed up to put a smaller easy out and turn both at the same time.
so it would look some what like this
Untitled7.png bigger hole is already drilled

unfortunately i havnt got a mig welder :<

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Also check the manifold and head surfaces are flat using a straight edge. If they're not flat there will be extra stress in the bolts just pulling the surfaces together rather than into crushing the gasket. You can't do much (easily) if the head is off but can look for a better manifold if it is.

un named

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL SL
got a turbo manifold that im putting on thats nice and flat ill check the head tomorrow. cheers

Scrusy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL wagon
Cant you just use a tap and die set? Drill a hole through the broken bolt and use a reverse bit..
Thats what i did when one of mine snapped in there